Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my power steering quit working twice within the last week. Came to find out the power steering module was failing due to the cold outside temp.
Ford is aware of it and is working on it for us Hybrid owners that live in the colder climates. My new module should arrive in the next day or two.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I must be lucky, my 06 Hybrid has made it through two upstate NY Winters now with no problem whatever except for the expected noticeable drop in mpg when it's like 2º outside...........

~John

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Any idea what the problem is? Or is Ford keeping hush-hush and just sending out new modules?

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All they would tell is that the cold weather effected the power steering module to such a degree that it would cause the power steering motor to shut down. And let me tell you. This is not like your old non-power steering cars. It turns hard.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmorton10 said:
I must be lucky, my 06 Hybrid has made it through two upstate NY Winters now with no problem whatever except for the expected noticeable drop in mpg when it's like 2º outside...........

~John
Same hear until now. At first they thought it was a loose plug on the motor that might have been caused when I hit that deer last November but it wasn't.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, new power steering module has been installed for almost a week now and I'm happy to say the problem has not returned. :yahoo:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all.. New to the forum and this is my first post.. :welcome: Bought an 06 FEH on 1/20/2011 and was happy with it so far. Monday morning though I went to the sitters to pickup my son and when I started the vehicle no power steering and a message in the console letting me know that as well. Temps was about 2 degrees outside. Drove it for a block like this with the intention of getting to the dealers and decided at a stop light to shut the car down and restart it. Power steering came back. Since I just bought the vehicle I decided to to continue to the dealer to have it looked into. :bill: Well the tech :fan: pulled the codes and saw that the power steering failed and he ran another diag and found that it was running 3 ohms low so he is suggesting that we replace the power steering rack. It is now Saturday they still do not have the part and I have a rental car till they do.. But so far they are paying for everything so I can not complain too much. I have loads of questions so far but mostly I am lurking till I read the posts till I ask since they might have been answered already.

I miss my Jetta TDI but I needed the room.. sigh :bust:

Thanks

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts