Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I need to pick some brains. Got an 06 XLT 3.0. I can grab the driveshaft at the PTU end and move it up and with a clunking noise. Now I'm assuming the bearings in the output flange are shot. So I went to my local parts store to get the bearings and I assume there's a crush sleeve there too. They couldn't find said parts. Tried the online parts store I always, no luck either. This is a long winded way of asking, are there bearings and crush sleeve in there? Am I close in my diagnosis? Can't drive it, scared it's going to blow all to pieces. Am. I correct that this is going to be a Ford only parts? I would greatly appreciate any advice or information you can share. Thanks for listening

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
54 Posts
Greetings all, I need to pick some brains. Got an 06 XLT 3.0. I can grab the driveshaft at the PTU end and move it up and with a clunking noise. Now I'm assuming the bearings in the output flange are shot. So I went to my local parts store to get the bearings and I assume there's a crush sleeve there too. They couldn't find said parts. Tried the online parts store I always, no luck either. This is a long winded way of asking, are there bearings and crush sleeve in there? Am I close in my diagnosis? Can't drive it, scared it's going to blow all to pieces. Am. I correct that this is going to be a Ford only parts? I would greatly appreciate any advice or information you can share. Thanks for listening
not familiar with your particular model, but an output shaft, or slip yoke would generally not have a crush sleeve.
only the input shaft on a differential does, as you set the ring and pinion engagement depths.
I would probably replace your carrier bearing, as the movement in the front output has probably fatigued it as well.

just check around the output shaft case molding, hopefully you do not see any stress cracks... probably figure on replacing a U-joint as well.

good luck my friend
** last bit - it used to make a difference when Ford cars were manufactured with North American built products, but now everything is built in Japan.
the cheaper metric variance is not so devastating to parts replacement… They are all metric now anyway.

strangely thinking about it, I believe cars are the first universal thing to have crossed the metric - standard tooling gap… Unless you own something prior to 2000, you no longer need an SAE tool set.

ahhh, blessed uniformity where it's actually desirable ( :

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot buddy. When I first noticed the looseness was before we parked it two years ago. I checked it a few days ago and the looseness wasn't there. That's why we parked it, because it sounded like it was going to come apart at the seams. Shall investigate further. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts