Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and i were traveling yesterday and she commented that she couldnt read the odometer. so i look over and sure enough its not lit up anymore. it still works i can read it during the day and with (my cell phone LoL) i could see it last night. anyone know if this is a relatively easy repair? is it soldered to the circuit board for the gage cluster?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The bulb has burned out behind the odometer. I picked a new one up at NAPA for a few bucks. It takes about an hour to change out the first time you do it. I believe I used a PC74 when I did mine. Just remember to disconnect the battery first as the odometer still has power going to it with the ignition off. Remove the bezel in front of the gauges then the gauge cluster tilts out. Remove the old bulb and pop the new one in. I can't remember if I took the cluster all the way out, it's been a while. I've heard of estimates from the stealer ship of 200 dollars plus to replace that bulb. Much easier to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info scott. i took it apart tonight and found a little bulb burnt out. since it was easy to take apart. im thinking of changing the 4 main bulbs to blue to match my truck. i was just worried that the display itself was screwed. and it does look soldered to the board.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone know where i can get the colored sleeves??? i want to change all my lights to blue.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
There has been alot of talk in the past about changing the gauge light color and all who tried found that wonderful green color was part of the gauge face itself and not easily removed. They had a kit on E-bay even that essentialy was some sand paper and intructions. Sounds like you need to have the gauge face in hand and sand off the colored areas, and then either replace with the desired color or use colored bulbs/sleeves. Of course you'll still have green on other parts of the dash... :doh:

I have not done this by the way but it seems no one was too happy with the results, so Modder beware :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i pulled out a few bulbs to look at them, and there are little plastic sleeves on the bulbs. i went to auto parts extra and the guy there is going to try to find me the sleeves. all the bulbs look the same in the dash. you could be right about the colored pieces. maybe just to test that theory i will pull it back out (ive only got 2 of the bolts in cause i dont have a new light yet LoL) and switch all my red and green ones around and see what happens/.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You can buy LED retrofits to replace the 74/37 (wedge bulbs that light up the gauges 2001-2007 models, as well as the odometer on 2001-2004 models), and you can buy them in blue.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Pictures!!! I've been wanting to do this for a LOOOOONG time :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jpark, can you do a how to for the gauge cluster removal for people who have never done it? and if possible include the pictures and part numbers for the bulbs and such? i would do it, but your tech pictures look better then what i would do with my digital camera.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Sometimes I like digi cam pics better...see the REAL thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts