Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
If you have money to burn and time to spare, yes. Doing it at a shop, I would guess to cost to be around $10,000.

You're better off selling your Escape and picking up a used one with a manual transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Squishy said:
If you have money to burn and time to spare, yes. Doing it at a shop, I would guess to cost to be around $10,000.

You're better off selling your Escape and picking up a used one with a manual transmission.
well said LoL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
If you can find a donor vehicle for a reasonable price and you have the skills, it can be done. I want to do it to my 2005 one of these days but I don't have time for such a project right now. If the trans takes a dump one day a 5-speed is going back in it's place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Squishy said:
If you have money to burn and time to spare, yes. Doing it at a shop, I would guess to cost to be around $10,000.

You're better off selling your Escape and picking up a used one with a manual transmission.
4 cyl auto to 4 cyl manual I could see, but is there any manual transmission that bolts up to the 3.0 V6?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
you could find one that bolts to it, but if you have 4x4 kiss it goodbye i bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,629 Posts
I was considering my automatic, being converted to a manual. He gave me an estimate of about $10,000. :lol: :shock:

The mechanic explained, that it was a fairly major project. My service tech also mentioned, that for that expense, you might as well buy a car , that has manual as factory standard.

Henceforth, i don't have money to burn. Shall leave my escape as it currently is.

Knew i forgot something. Not sure if this phrase is popular overseas.

Down under, we say " If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it ". :shades:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
stone said:
Down under, we say " If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it ". :shades:
I know some say "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is" :calvin:

I've converted, or is it perverted, my Datsun with auto trans to an aftermarket Tremec 6speed manual, even found a few Ford parts that in the end seem like they were made for it. I can't imagine the task on a new computer controlled FWD/4WD :tease:

For the price and headaches, buy a nice 5 speed Mustang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,629 Posts
BLKXLT said:
stone said:
Down under, we say " If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it ". :shades:
I know some say "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is" :calvin:

I've converted, or is it perverted, my Datsun with auto trans to an aftermarket Tremec 6speed manual, even found a few Ford parts that in the end seem like they were made for it. I can't imagine the task on a new computer controlled FWD/4WD :tease:

For the price and headaches, buy a nice 5 speed Mustang.
" If it ain't broke, fix it until it is ". :lol: :lol: :clap: :thumb: I like that!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Well I didn't notice he had a V6 - that would be a bit tougher to do since you won't be able to find an Escape donor vehicle. I was speaking of converting a 2.3L Escape from auto to manual.

Not saying it cannot be done, but it's going to be harder.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
stone said:
udmsvt said:
You could always so what I did....spend $1200 on a rusty but trusty 1st gen explorer 5-speed that you can beat the s**t* out of :)
:lol: :thumb: Down under ,we refer to them as " Exploders"
I bought one years ago, I think in 93. I didn't understand the term :shrug: until the head gasket popped from overheating. Nevermind it was brought about by a highway patrolman pouring cold water into the radiator when the thing overheated on my wife... :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
we call them exploders here in canada as well LoL, pretty funny that they are known by that name across the world eh :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
CrashNburn said:
we call them exploders here in canada as well LoL, pretty funny that they are known by that name across the world eh :thumb:
Interesting maybe. Funny? Not so much... :stop:

Once we rebuilt the top half of the little 4.0L it ran like clockwork. Was much tougher too. I dunno why, but it never overheated again in 125K miles over the next three years. We lived out a little ways from the city back then... :angel:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top