Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can't make sense of Ford's part numbers. Even the Parts counter people say rear coil springs are no longer available for 2009 XLT. That part no. is 9L8Z-5560-B and discontinued according to catalogue search.

Yet what shows up also is 9M6Z-5560-D with identical details--and available for purchase. Are these direct OEM replacements with simply a different number? Any advice appreciated, thanks! See below for comparative details.

9L8Z5560B - Rear Suspension:
Spring for Ford: Escape
Rear Suspension: Spring for Ford: Escape
Coil Spring
9L8Z-5560-B

Spring, Right - Discontinued

Escape, Mariner.
Spring code 9l845726 b.
2 wheel drive, 2009-12, code e.
4 wheel drive, 2009-12, code e.
Marked 9l84 5726 b.
2 wheel drive, 2009-11, arms & shocks, code b.
4 wheel drive, 2009-11, code b.
9M6Z5560D - Rear Suspension:
Coil Spring
9M6Z-5560-D

Spring, Left

Escape, Mariner.
Spring code 9m645726 b.
2 wheel drive, 2009-12, code a.
Marked 9m64 5726 b.
2 wheel drive, 2009-12, code b.
2 wheel drive, 2009-11, code b.
4 wheel drive, 2009-11, code b.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, the springs are apparently side-sensitive. The L code is for right side, and the M code is for the left side. In most cases, the mount shape will tend to put the spiral of the spring into a specific position rotating about the center axis. If that is important, then you likely would have bad results doing a substitution.
I am not a Ford parts guru, and if the part was indicated as NLA, I would turn to recycle yards, boneyards, junkyards, whatever name, and search for a used part that would satisfy my need. An additional source, at least in the past, were spring re-conditioning firms that could re-work a spring and make it meet the original specs. I know leaf springs can be re-arched, and suspect that coil springs could likely be re-formed the same way if they had lost some ride height due to overload or old age.
An additional possibility, totally unkown if it still exists, is 'load leveler' style shock absorbers that had coil springs mounted to them. They added to the carrying capacity of the original springs to reduce sag when a heavy load was being transported.
tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the springs are apparently side-sensitive. The L code is for right side, and the M code is for the left side. In most cases, the mount shape will tend to put the spiral of the spring into a specific position rotating about the center axis. If that is important, then you likely would have bad results doing a substitution.
I am not a Ford parts guru, and if the part was indicated as NLA, I would turn to recycle yards, boneyards, junkyards, whatever name, and search for a used part that would satisfy my need. An additional source, at least in the past, were spring re-conditioning firms that could re-work a spring and make it meet the original specs. I know leaf springs can be re-arched, and suspect that coil springs could likely be re-formed the same way if they had lost some ride height due to overload or old age.
An additional possibility, totally unkown if it still exists, is 'load leveler' style shock absorbers that had coil springs mounted to them. They added to the carrying capacity of the original springs to reduce sag when a heavy load was being transported.
tom
I should not replace old springs with old junkyard springs. Also, the Escape gas tank is biased in weight to the left side--which explains the 'sag' everyone sees on the left side.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the springs are apparently side-sensitive. The L code is for right side, and the M code is for the left side.
tom
From the Ford lookup:
SKU: 9M6Z-5560-D
Positions: Left, Right
Other Names: Spring, Spring - Rear
Description:
Escape, Mariner. Spring code 9m645726 b. 2 wheel drive, 2009-12, code a. Marked 9m64 5726 b. 2 wheel drive, 2009-12, code b. 2 wheel drive, 2009-11, code b. 4 wheel drive, 2009-11, code b.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I guess you did not like my reply which used the details you provided about the 'sided' selection of the spring. If the tank is so critical, then replacing with a spring that is for both sides may soon lead or will lead immediately to a sag on the side with the tank.
As far as used springs, it take a lot of time and overload, generally, to be at a point where replacement springs are needed. If yours are damaged, and you need a replacement, then junkyard springs are very likely in good condition as they likely, repeat: likely, have not been overloaded and do not have sag problems. I would not have a problem with used springs, and of course would want to see the condition of the vehicle where they came from. You can measure unloaded springs and compare their length to see if they have taken a set over time and are shorter.
The verbiage presented made it obvious that the original design called for different springs L and R. Replacing a L with an R may or may not be problematic, which I noted, but your subsequent post indicated that FoMoCo will use their recommended part for both sides. Use them or find another source. I have said all I want to express. Have fun. Good luck. Happy sags to you... HA!
tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess you did not like my reply which used the details you provided about the 'sided' selection of the spring. If the tank is so critical, then replacing with a spring that is for both sides may soon lead or will lead immediately to a sag on the side with the tank.
The verbiage presented made it obvious that the original design called for different springs L and R. Replacing a L with an R may or may not be problematic, which I noted, but your subsequent post indicated that FoMoCo will use their recommended part for both sides. Use them or find another source. I have said all I want to express. Have fun. Good luck. Happy sags to you... HA!
tom
Please go back and re-read the original post. Ford states 9L8Z-5560-B is specified for both left and right rear springs, and has also discontinued this part.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as used springs, it take a lot of time and overload, generally, to be at a point where replacement springs are needed. If yours are damaged, and you need a replacement, then junkyard springs are very likely in good condition as they likely, repeat: likely, have not been overloaded and do not have sag problems. I would not have a problem with used springs, and of course would want to see the condition of the vehicle where they came from. You can measure unloaded springs and compare their length to see if they have taken a set over time and are shorter.
I have said all I want to express. Have fun. Good luck. Happy sags to you... HA!
tom
Not sure why you are taking an attitude when what I said was "I should not use junkyard springs." Have you attempted the task of removing rear coil springs from a wrecker? A junkyard set will have unknown history and require, as you say, several tests on several sets to determine their usefulness. This means removing multiple sets from multiple vehicles. Have you actually gone to all that trouble? If so, how many hours and gallons did you use up?

The cost of a new pair of springs is about $150.

"Happy sags to you... HA!" <<< totally unnecessary attitude.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
"Happy sags to you... HA!" <<< totally unnecessary attitude.

Was meant as humor. An attitude that sometimes helps get past the disappointments we face... No regrets, no rancor, hope you get the parts you need. Last time I replaced springs was on a 1961 Corvair Lakewood. At the time, they were avaliable from the dealer. Subsequent was having the rear leaf springs re-arched on a 1964 Mercury Comet station wagon that had 'the sags' and was droopy whenever any load was in the reat seats, much less the aft compartment.
I have replace struts and compressed the springs on a few occasions, and know they are dangerous. As far as boneyard springs, 99.9% will not have any problem, and will likely be as good as factory new. It takes something to cause them to sag beyond normal use, in most instances. They are a mostly "lifetime" part in a vehicle, and those that are not, and do not last, are uncommon, and mostly are noted by owners and commented upon at web sites like this. As far as I am aware, no one has commented upon spring sag or other failure on the site, nor on ford-dash-trucks-dot-com, another site with escape postings.
What your course of action is to be is all your choice, and I only comment with my observations and experience. Again, good luck in your endeavor.
tom

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
QUOTING:
That part no. is 9L8Z-5560-B and discontinued according to catalogue search.

Yet what shows up also is 9M6Z-5560-D with identical details--and available for purchase.

QUOTING:
9M6Z5560D - Rear Suspension:
Coil Spring
9M6Z-5560-D

Spring, Left

last word... Left.

And available per a different post. I am confused.. But that's ok, as I know nothing more than I have posted.
tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
9M6Z-5560-D
Spring, Left
last word... Left.
And available per a different post. I am confused.. But that's ok, as I know nothing more than I have posted.
tom
This is literally the script from every Ford parts clerk from Portland OR to Portland ME: "the discontinued part is the exact one for your VIN. We do not know what 9M6Z-5560-D is, or why a search returns it as a fit to your vehicle, or its application, or its specs, or even why it exists. Your VIN takes a pair of 9L8Z-5560-B, only that, and that is 'discontinued'."

My Escape 'sits down' at rear left with cargo load, or with a 150-lb passenger in back seat, or even with a full tank of gas. At full tank, the car slugs away from a stop just trying to get off its rear end. At 50% tank, as in 60 lb. lighter, the car sits level and high in back and accelerates like the business.

The Escape's fuel tank is biased to left. So is the driver's seat. There is more weight on left side, constantly, than right side. More constant weight means more constant wear. A worn spring loses its springiness. Every derelict in the junkyard will have undergone this wear.

My question was if anyone knew of this alternate code for rear coil springs and if it will work in an XLT V6. Ford Parts seems never to have heard of some of their own parts.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Have you owned the vehicle since it was new? If so, then you know whether it was overloaded at one time or not. If you purchased second hand, then unless you know the previous owner, it is possible they damaged the spring during their ownership.
The weakness you describe with minimal load leads me to think you have a damaged spring.
I am not a parts person, and if you get inconsistent answers from one at a dealership, then perhaps try a different dealer, or ford.com web site.
I have had experiences where the clerk behind the counter could not be bothered with a 'retail' customer, and informed me I would have to purchase the fuel line from tank to injector, full length of the car, when one piece was broken. Maybe he wanted the replacement job for his dealership, I don't know. But I expect should he have done a bit of investigating he could have found the repair kit noted in the shop manual.
tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Have you owned the vehicle since it was new? If so, then you know whether it was overloaded at one time or not. If you purchased second hand, then unless you know the previous owner, it is possible they damaged the spring during their ownership.
The weakness you describe with minimal load leads me to think you have a damaged spring.
I am second owner. I discovered the 1.25" hitch rack installation that came with the car is not from factory. So, the prior owner may have carried loads on springs not designed for load. Hence, Ford thinks my vehicle is stock when it's not. It's modded.

I have done some research and found some models have rear-end rating of 2480 lb--door sticker calls for 'G' springs. My XLT is rated 2340 lb at rear and calls for 'E' springs. Not sure why some Escapes have heavier rear end, but those 'G' springs seem specific to heavier load. Probably the Hybrid has a big battery in the back needing heavier spring.

Were I to buy junkyard parts, for a used type, I'd probably want to get the heavier ones. Is my car going to act up with springs rated for an extra 70 lb per side?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
My expectation is that you would not notice a difference at all. 70/2340 is a pretty small difference. The ride height would likely not even be noticeable.
If you watch the height while having a child(or a 70# bag of chicken feed/etc) get into the vehicle, you may be able to notice the change in ride height, but it would likely be on the order of less than an inch or a could cm. I have watched persons of size get into vehicles, and the ride height change with over 200 lb added when a passenger embarks is not significant.
An example of change you may be able to perform is to open any door, and hang gently on it for support. You add a lever arm to amplify the load you add, but I suggest you will see little ride height difference by even doing that.
A damaged spring will generally do two things, from my experience, it will either sag quickly when loaded, even lightly, or it will have a reduced ride height. It could have both characteristics.
If published, you may be able to find the spring characteristics, measured in deflection per inch per rated load. More or less something along the lines of 229 lb/inch. My number was randomly generated and has nothing to do with the spring rates of the vehicle.
tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
MOOG 80657 work fine. I added the Air Lift 1000 helper spring kit 60796 since I have a wheelchair lift on the back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MOOG 80657 work fine. I added the Air Lift 1000 helper spring kit 60796 since I have a wheelchair lift on the back.
The Ford springs are only $15 more each, but have been looking at Moog 80657. I just like the 33-34" rear ride height and want to keep that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The ride height with the MOOG springs was stock. With the air lift at 25 lbs, I maintain stock ride height with the lift and scooter loaded on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts