Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 Escape with the 6-disc CD changer. Last week it was changing from disc 1 to disc 2, and the mechanism locked up. Now it just makes buzzing noises for several seconds, then stops.

So I went out and bought a pair of the Ford radio removal tools so that I could take it out and rescue my CDs. When I try and pull the radio out, it will move about 1/4", and then stop. The tools then slip off their catch, and the radio isn't out far enough where I can get my fingers on it to pull it the rest of the way. The radio just clicks back into place when I try and grab it. :wall:

Is there a step I'm missing, or does anyone have any tricks they can share?

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's the crucial step.. spread the tools apart when you feel that the ends have engaged then the radio should slide out easily. I missed that step myself and spent a frustrating time with it until I did a quick google search for the solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pulling the tools to the sides before pulling out on the radio. I can feel the tools click into place, then I pull them apart and pull the radio towards me. I can feel the radio start to pull out, but then it seems to catch on something and the tools pull out. The tools just have a little bump at the end, so it doesn't take much for them to lose their grip. At that point the radio is loose and will move around, but when I push the tools back in, the radio will click back into place as well.

Thanks for the replies - I'll keep trying...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts