Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i'm new here and have joined because of this problem.

my wife has a 2008 4 cyl auto. tribute and when you put it reverse it shakes and drops rpm hugely, to the point it almost stalls. checked the tranny fluid and it's clean and full. this just started today and only in reverse. any ideas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
it might be your tranmission cooler line i think even though there is a good amount of fluid it might affect the shifting..not sure though. Have your transmission changed which is very easy just one drain plug and see if that helps. If not have ford check it out cause there might be a TSB for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
rc51matt said:
yeah shes taking it in the morning to the mazda dealership
Transmission issues are tough to diagnose - I would have said check the transmission filter first, then the torque converter, but you only have symptoms when in reverse? Confusing. :confused:

Let us know how you made out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Creaky said:
rc51matt said:
yeah shes taking it in the morning to the mazda dealership
Transmission issues are tough to diagnose - I would have said check the transmission filter first, then the torque converter, but you only have symptoms when in reverse? Confusing. :confused:

Let us know how you made out.
I looked on the Ford Discussion Board to see if there have been recalls other then the the recent '08 and found nothing mentioning reverse gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
believe it or not it had nothing to do with the transmission. when the oil was changed the fill cap was never put back on. the motor was losing pressure. cap back on runs fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
rc51matt said:
believe it or not it had nothing to do with the transmission. when the oil was changed the fill cap was never put back on. the motor was losing pressure. cap back on runs fine
Unbelievable! :doh: Glad it wasn't anything more serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Dang how a cap would affect everything!!! Make sure you check your caps before an oil change. Was the whole cap missing or loose??? hope everything works out fine. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
rc51matt said:
believe it or not it had nothing to do with the transmission. when the oil was changed the fill cap was never put back on. the motor was losing pressure. cap back on runs fine
That would affect the PVC system but I don't understand how that could just be a problem for reverse gear alone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jtugfestiva said:
Dang how a cap would affect everything!!! Make sure you check your caps before an oil change. Was the whole cap missing or loose??? hope everything works out fine. :)
it was off sitting there in the engine compartment
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wptski said:
rc51matt said:
believe it or not it had nothing to do with the transmission. when the oil was changed the fill cap was never put back on. the motor was losing pressure. cap back on runs fine
That would affect the PVC system but I don't understand how that could just be a problem for reverse gear alone!
my wife said she could feel it everywhere, i'm guessing i felt it most in reverse since i was completly stopped withmy foot on the brake
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top