Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the near future i will be dissassembling my headlights and retrofitting 2.5" projectors w/ custom bezels along w/ painted headlight housing and halo rings aaand a new D2S 30k hid kit, maybe even an led accent lighting for a "brow" effect. i wont actually be doing the retrofit, my hid company will be doing the work, but i'll see if they can take some pics as they do the work. i was thinking about using these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but i have an h13 which is dual filament and these dont have a hi-beam since its a "universal" fit so i'd have to do major modifications to the electrical lighting system to get a seperate hi-beam.

so i'll be going with something like this since it's bi-xenon

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/...id=61&osCsid=8aab571b546b4cf53bef9e254199050d

with a custom made bezel

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'd love to see what this looks like when it's done.

The four-bolt mounts of those TSX projectors look like they'd be easy to adapt to just about any headlamp housing, and $350 is almost a steal for one of those kits.

Ford is starting to use projectors on many of its cars, including most Lincolns. My Edge and Fusion both have projector fog lamps, and Ford is installing projector low-beams on the Fusion next year.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jpark said:
I'd love to see what this looks like when it's done.

The four-bolt mounts of those TSX projectors look like they'd be easy to adapt to just about any headlamp housing, and $350 is almost a steal for one of those kits.

Ford is starting to use projectors on many of its cars, including most Lincolns. My Edge and Fusion both have projector fog lamps, and Ford is installing projector low-beams on the Fusion next year.
i've got a bid in on two 08 oem escape headlights on ebay. i think i'm gonna use them as my projector retrofits, rather than tear apart mine. maybe if they look awesome enough i'll do the 2nd set and sell 'em on ebay or to another user here. some lucky person could be the only other person with 08 escape projector headlamps.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I can't wait to see how you do this.

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I think this is an awesome plan...and I am convinced you have the skills to pull this off! I can't wait to see what you can come up with and always remember...............

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol: i'll make sure to get some of the process preserved with pics.

*edit* ARGH! today was such a crappy day at work that i missed the end of the auction and someone placed a bid higher! this project may or may not get postponed. sonofa... :wall:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
** UPDATE **

lights are at the shop and are already taken apart ... wont be long now. now i gotta custom make a bezel to fit the projector housing... later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is slightly off-topic, but what are the benefits of projector headlamps versus whatever we use now? Other than they look slick.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
They look slick, as well as looking really slick.

:D

Their real appeal is that they concentrate much more light into a smaller area, so headlamps can be smaller. LED headlamp technology will really benefit from projector design in a few years.

·
Registered
327 Posts
if you get 2 pairs weezy you can put me down for purchasin a pair!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jshak07 said:
if you get 2 pairs weezy you can put me down for purchasin a pair!
well, i'll still have my factory lights. i bought a set off ebay dirt cheap and am using those instead of my factory lights. sooo... either you can have my lights and we'll do the retrofit on those and you can send me your old ones and i'll ship you the modified ones, or you can try your luck on ebay. i got super lucky with ebay. i bought them individually, one for $20 and the other for $6.50 plus shipping. cost me like $70 total to get them both shipped in. the retrofit wont be cheap, but not ridiculously expensive. the projectors themselves cost about $200 for the set, then theres labor to paint the housings and cutting and trimming and etc. but i'm sure i can arrange something. now, you can probably find some cheaper alternatives on sites like http://www.theretrofitsource.com for the parts you'll need. but make sure they're bi-xenon projectors and not imitation projectors that use a single filament h3,h1,h7 bulb. you'll have no hi-beams. i know on theretrofitsource you can buy everything you need there. projectors, bezels and the hid kit. so you can do it anyway you want, they'll install customer supplied projectors if you want. i figure its just easier to use their product, since i know the projectors i'm using came out of 2007 infinity g35.

anyway, back to making the bezels :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
partially done.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
How tough was it to separate the lens from the reflector assembly?

The finish looks great! Did you mask the reflector for the park/turn signal?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not hard at all. coupe of clips and pop it comes out. mask what? huh? hah.. the entire thing is black. i've super white 3157 20led bulbs for my blinkers. they're very visible even without the reflector

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I saw those in one of your other pics, and I know what you mean.

Have you seen the amber versions side-by-side with a standard 3157 bulb?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sure i have. we sell them at work. they come in 13 and 20 led design. they're very bright and ambery

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so... here's the bezel/shroud i'm gonna use to hide the "ugh" that is the back half of the projectors and cut parts of my headlight housing... should only be a few more days before i'm all done with the lights. we were waiting on the bezels to get here before we progressed any further

more later after we start cutting

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
This is gonna be one sweet project!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
What Scottie said... ^^^

1 - 20 of 53 Posts