Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my escapes electrical system is pulsing, headlights, interior lights etc... what could be the problem? please please dont tell me its the alt if it is i might just take it out to pasture and put one in the headlight, could lit be the battery? please help

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'll look at the service DVD tomorrow morning. My guess is the alternator/regulator, but I haven't had that kind of problem in any car recently, so I could be waaay off on that.

What is your Escape's model year, and which engine do you have?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You should be able to find a shop that will test the battery and alternator for free. Over here the parts shops will do it for you as well.

I know my interior lights pulse when the battery gets low, but by that time the headlights don't even illuminate. My headlights have pulsed before when excessive load was placed on the DRL relay.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do your lights dim and go back instantly, or does it stay dim for a while?

The alternator just died in my '03 and the lights were doing all sorts of wierd things.

If they dim for a bit, try giving it some gas and see if the lights go back to bright.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so i still havent gotten my battery tested yet but its the next thing on the list, ive talked with a couple of people and they seem to think its the battery

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well the machanic "AKA my dad" thinks its the grounds are corroded so all i need is a diagram so any help anyone could give would be great, also those of you who have made your own grounding kit please tell me what you used and where you put the grounds

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Did you get the battery tested yet? Here are the ground locations.

G100 (B6):

G101 (E3):

G102 (E5), G103 (E5):

G104 (E6), G105 (E6):

G106 (B2), G107 (A5):

G108 (E3):

G200 (D2), G201 (D2), G205 (D7):

G202 (D7), G203 (D7):

G300 (D7), G301 (D7):

G400 (B6), G401 (E3):

G402 (D2), G403 (D2):

G404 (A4):

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 2001 Tribby LX (v6) has the same annoying issue: pulsating dash & headlights.
My alternator has been changed about 4 years ago, and the battery about 3 years ago.
I had the car since new. 73,000 Km as of today (+/-).
Had the car at the dealership a few months ago, explained the situation, I was told that the alternator and battery tested out fine. For a more detailed check, they said they would have to remove the dashboard, but that is labor intense - a few hours at 100+/hr rate. So I passed. Unfortunately, Squishys photobucket links are not working anymore.
Not sure what to check. Need asome assistance.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
:bill: Which Photobucket links are broken? I'll try to get them back up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Squishy said:
:bill: Which Photobucket links are broken? I'll try to get them back up.
Hello Squishy.
It's the one just before my post in this thread, on the previous page (photobucket links broken maybe)
Thank you

·
Registered
119 Posts
So anyone with a fix for the pulseing lights (dashboard & headlights)?
A year later, same status quo. It's not the alternator, it's not the battery. I went on different long trips without any hiccups.
The only thing is: if you push the gas pedal slightly (revs should go I believe past 1000 or 1200), then the pulseing stops, and light is "fluid" if I can say so.
Any insights anyone?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same thing happen years ago on an old F-150. At idle I could watch the voltage gage fluctuate. It was the voltage regulator. The part was 10$ from NAPA and took about 2 min to change, doubt it would be that easy on a newer Escape. Heck there might not be one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So is there or not a voltage regulator like on the F-150? If it is anyone knows where it's located?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The voltage regulator on the Escapes, unfortunately, is inside the alternator.Immediately, a $20 job becomes major.That is one issue which Ford should reconsider, among others, if they wish to stay high on customers satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts