Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

putting in gas 2005

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  danaconda2112 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have the problem of pumping gas in a 2005 and the gas nozzle always stopping
like the tank is full? Every 20 seconds the pump stops. Driving me nuts!!!
Thanks.

Hex (Matt)

#5 ·
Even though you didn't purchase directly from Ford, they can still perform the TSB. Call a dealership local to you and ask the service advisor if that particular TSB has already been preformed. You'll need to have your VIN handy to do it over the phone.

#6 ·
BUMP!!!

I read somewhere that FORD is aware of this. Mine was doing it once in a while but recently it is doing it all the time and it's a PITA when it's cold outside arnd/or you are in a hurry. I just found something that will try today when I get home.

#10 ·
Hello, mine does it all the time. Other thing I notice is it just gets to the full mark on the fuel gauge and the needle drops fast. After around 20 miles I have dropped a good 1/8 tank on the gauge. I wish there was a easy fix for the gauge also.
Don

#12 ·
escaping05 said:
Don my 05 does that to sometime not even 5-10 miles and it drops like you said. Seems to be stable the rest of the way don't you think?
Yes same here. I get good millage just seems strange to me that it drops so fast. At first I thought I was not getting it filled all the way. So took a gas can and filled it till it was running out of filler tube. It did the same fast drop, so have just lived with it. Glad to know someone else has the same trouble. Have a Happy Easter!!!
Don

#13 ·
Not really a consumption problem. This is more in the line of physics.
The fuel tank in an Escape is smaller in capacity on the top than in the middle and bottom. It takes less time to consume the fuel in that smaller portion of the tank. Consider a longneck beer bottle. (not how the actual tank is shaped of course)
The neck is probably 1/3 of the total height of the bottle yet you can probably empty that portion with a sip or two. In a fuel tank, the gas gauge float doesn't know that so it just reads the level accordingly.
Hope that explains. :)

Will

#15 ·
Suprawill1 said:
The fuel tank in an Escape is smaller in capacity on the top than in the middle and bottom. It takes less time to consume the fuel in that smaller portion of the tank. Consider a longneck beer bottle. (not how the actual tank is shaped of course)
The neck is probably 1/3 of the total height of the bottle yet you can probably empty that portion with a sip or two. In a fuel tank, the gas gauge float doesn't know that so it just reads the level accordingly.

Will
:thumb:

#17 ·
N6CRV said:
Suprawill1 said:

Will

#18 ·
Manic Mechanic said:
I believe your year Escape is covered by this TSB, I have done the fix several times ... takes only 15 minutes or so - only a few zip ties required.

http://engine-codes.com/uploads/ford/08-5-5.pdf
My car routinely has this problem, 2006 Escape. It's only from one gas station though, but it's the convenient one on my way to work. I rarely can fill up there because it's such a pain in the ***. And it doesn't happen with my wife's Wrangler at all there. Even weirder, they just got new pumps installed there and it still does it.

Looks like it's just basically a cutting/rerouting of the vent tube? Might try to do it when I have my wheel off soon for new brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.