Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I am new to the "city" and am posting for the first time. I have a few questions that I am hoping that someone is able to help me out with.

1) I would like to add heated mirrors to my 2009 Mariner - it did not come with them. Where I live, they keep getting freezing rain and they keep freezing over. It becomes very difficult to see when changing lanes on the interstates, which is mostly what I drive. I have searched on here but found answers for older models than mine (and that they did not have the harness there) but am curious if my model is any different? My question is this: Does the wiring harness already exist at the mirror or near by the mirror? I can get the mirrors for it but am uncertain of how difficult the installation will be if the harness is not there. This is my baby and I don't want to screw anything up.. :play:

2) It did not come with a roof rack. Does anyone know if they make OEM looking after market roof racks for the 2009 Mariner? and/or How much do the OEM ones cost? And is it even possible to add them on to it? If it consists of drilling holes.. I have to have my mechanic friend do it .. I cringe just thinking about it (they had to drill the holes for the bug deflector, I couldn't handle doing it lol).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have any guidance on these two questions?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, wecome to the site! :welcome:

I'm not really sure, but Ford generally has been included the harness as its much easier on the assembly line. Then if the vehicle requires the add ons/options, the parts just need plugged in and put into place. My suggestion would be to pull off the mirror and go from there. There is a how-to section that I'm fairly sure will tell you how to remove the mirror assembly. And the heated mirrors as you likely know are triggered by turning on the rear defroster so if there is a wire harness at the mirror, you could take a volt meter and see if you have voltage when turning on the rear defroster.

Hope this helps a little. I know I love the heated mirrors and seats in mine! :frozen:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Found how to take door panel and mirror off. Will check on a warmer day lol. From what I had read previously, the defroster harness was built to handle the mirrors even if it was not equipped with them. So, here's hoping that it will be located there.

Does any one have any ideas about the roof rack? Part number for OEM or a site for non oem that I'd be able to consider getting? Only part number I have found so far was the cross beams, which do me no good when I have no roof rack at all lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why don't you call you local Ford Dealer ? The racks are the same for the Mariner and Escape.
Here you go thirty seconds search on google

http://www.fordonlineparts.com/

Inner rail, Inner rail Left
RAIL ASY - ROOF - SI
List Price : $62.83
Your Price : $50.26

Inner rail, Inner rail Right
RAIL ASY - ROOF - SI
List Price : $56.10
Your Price : $44.88

Crossmember, Crossmember Back
SUPPORT - Production installed
List Price : $100.25
Your Price : $80.20

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did call my local dealer? They're complete idiots and told me several of the things I wanted to buy (side moldings, spoiler, roof rails, etc) were not listed as parts I could buy... why do you think I was on here? :confused:

And the escapes and mariner's racks are different. Escape - solid black. Mariner - black with chrome accents at the base of each post.

·
Registered
322 Posts
timothyjay2004 said:
I did call my local dealer? They're complete idiots and told me several of the things I wanted to buy (side moldings, spoiler, roof rails, etc) were not listed as parts I could buy... why do you think I was on here? :confused:

And the escapes and mariner's racks are different. Escape - solid black. Mariner - black with chrome accents at the base of each post.
Not all, the dirrerence is if a Chrome package was added, then chrome inserts appear on the Escape rails too.

I found side moldings on ebay, about $100, I think the site is sportwing.com

Can't help on the original questions, I thought all mariners came with all the basic Ford options.

I mean it's easy to buy an OEM roof rack, but how easy to install? Are the mounts still on the roof if it wan't an option from the factory? Again thinking cheap for Ford, I'd build them all the same and just screw on the racks to the orders that need it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There isn't anything on the roof that I can just mount the rails onto. That would be SUPER nice.. but they are nonexistant.. I had assumed that the rails were different since I've yet to see a mariner on the lot that did not have the chrome accents on the rails? But I guess I was wrong on my assumption of that. I might skip the rails - they would be nice to have to put my kayak and canoe on for in the summer but I can get around that with protective towels and what not. There were options I wanted on the mariner, but because of cash for clunkers, I didn't have much time and the selection was limited. What can you do I guess?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know some people on here added roof racks, so I know it's possible, just know know how it works.

I meant to mention if you click on my pic page (link in sig) you can see my side moldings.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
08HybridOK said:
I know some people on here added roof racks, so I know it's possible, just know know how it works.

I meant to mention if you click on my pic page (link in sig) you can see my side moldings.
How do you like the moldings? The main reason I'd want them is to protect the door panels from other idiots opening their doors lol. I had seen some on ebay previously, not too bad in price. But wondered how they compared (quality/looks) to ford's oem ones. Probably six of one...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100Chuck said:
If you go to the link I provided you can plug in your make and model and pull up the parts if you want to go with the factory OEM.
http://www.fordonlineparts.com/
I did check that out. I found the roof rack pieces on there.. It was going to be $300+ just for the rails .. then more when you add on the cross beams.. I'd be better off going non-oem. Hate to do it as everything on it so far is OEM, but for half that, I can probably find an oem equivalent.

Like I said before, I wanted these things on it when I bought it (roof rack, moon roof, heated mirrors, etc), but due to cash for clunkers, I couldn't. I had to choose from what was in the area- the type I bought or Premiers .. I could't get the premier because my hyper beagle would destroy the leather seats.. lol. I wanted to order one but they money would have been gone by the time I would have got it. I can't complain though, I got $4500 for my 1998 explorer with 210,000 miles on it that was worth only $400.. Just wish the program was set up differently than it was.

My only rant about the Mariner is SYNC and their lack of support for the iPod Touch.. But that's for another day... LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.