Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend's parents just had a set of remote start kits installed and, with our recent 'dusting' (six inches so far) of snow, I'm wondering if it would be a feasible feature. Her brother installed them himself, having to disable each vehicle during the install and doing all the wire cutting and splicing.

Anyone install one (OEM or not) and have stories to share?

Here's an eBay link that I'm staring at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-OEM ... 4839489c4f

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
420 Posts
my dad had an aftermarket remote start installed on his 2000 ranger and he loves it. i am not sure that i would personly use an aftermarket myself, but it seems to work well.

if that one on ebay will work for your vehicle i would get it and have the dealer install it. the price from ford costs a lot more than that one.

http://www.lombardfordaccessories.com/c ... curity.cfm

·
Registered
274 Posts
In this part of the world, remote starters are almost standard equipment! :) Almost every car I ever owned had a remote starter in it.

I had my dealer install an oem one in my escape when I bought it, I negotiated it in the price of my purchase.

It works quite well... locks the doors, starts the truck and runs it 15 mins max, then shuts down. If you press the remote button while the motor is running in park, you can remove the key and exit the vehicle and it'll keep running.

Of course any attempt to drive off the vehicle without putting the key in the ignition will shut down the car.

Pat

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealership said the kit with that part number is $291. It's a 200-series with full remote button control, but the guy didn't say whether it was single- or bi-directional. For some reason, the one with fewer features (mini remote start, one button only) with single-directional is $264 and bi-directional $315, which leads me to believe that the eBay item is a single-direction item. Response pending.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alex,
The 200 series would add a key fob to your ignition key, because you have an integrated key the mini one button would be the best option. The single direction is just that, it doesn't tell you if it is running. We offer the mini one buttons installed priced as follows

single direction $399.95 installed
bi-directional $449.95 installed

The mini one button will add a key fob to your key but it is small.
There's the verdict. He never responded with the part number though :lol:

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I bought mine i found that the previous owner was a Ford mechanic at the dealership i was buying from. There was a Viper 160XV system installed already and it was installed by Directed Electronics, Inc. (DEI) who is the Viper recommended installer. There are 2 separate wads of wires under the steering column, but I find that it's nice here in MN to hit the start button and walk away for a min. I'm not partial to getting into a warm car, but it's nice to know that the engine is warmed up for a minute or so. I did not find any paperwork on the cost of this to install.

Unfortunately sometimes when it's in the teens/single digits all night (even garaged), it won't start with the short burst that it uses to try to start the vehicle. It automatically tries to start the vehicle up to 3 times if its prior attempt is unsuccessful, which is about 3 whole engine turnovers per attempt. It has performed like this since I got it, and I noticed when I go manually start it it just needed 4 turnovers, but it seems to be affected by the temperature. I'm sure if I used the block heater or something that might help.

I have taken part on a aftermarket kit installed into a Grand Am and while we did get it working, I'll never choose to install car starter again. Between the different modules/harnesses you need to get some of the features working, a spare chip embedded key to keep it happy it wasn't worth my time or effort. Bundling the mess of wires neatly, and mostly ensuring that every connection is quality...

My folks have a 2010 with car starter that the had installed post-purchase, and that keyfob is huge. Seems to operate the same way though. There was one cool thing that it did and I'm not able to recall what it was...

·
Registered
19 Posts
SilverAthlon said:
There was a Viper 160XV system installed already and it was installed by Directed Electronics, Inc. (DEI) who is the Viper recommended installer.
For clarification only....Directed Electronics, Inc. (DEI) is not an installer, they are the manufacturer of Viper, Python, Clifford, and various other alarm lines. They also manufacture misc audio components.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts