Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject line got your attention? :lol:

So one of my friends (who I least expected to be in this situation due to their meekness and general personality) is booked on domestic assault charges and $100K bail. Needless to say, I have doubts as to whether this person will be out soon for financial reasons. For moral support (if that tells you how I stand on this whole ordeal), I was thinking about visiting my friend tonight, but it turns out that the City of Minneapolis requires visitors' names already be on a list of allowed visitors. Is this something new or universal? It's the first time I've ever heard of such a rule. I plan on showing up anyway during social visiting hours to see if my name (by luck, because this friend and I are pretty close) might be on this said list, but my other friends think that I should be okay just showing up and playing the "there's a list?" card.

If I see that this is something that is also enforced in other states, I might rethink my decision to visit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am unfamiliar with any of the local or otherwise rules, since I've never had the pleasure of spending the night in the clink myself. I'd tool down there anyways though, if not for the sake of your friend maybe to catch a glimpse of a real live Police Station in action. Then you can say you tried and were denied down the road to your friend too. It can't be so far away that it would result in turning down a chance for adventure like this...

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SilverAthlon said:
I am unfamiliar with any of the local or otherwise rules, since I've never had the pleasure of spending the night in the clink myself. I'd tool down there anyways though, if not for the sake of your friend maybe to catch a glimpse of a real live Police Station in action. Then you can say you tried and were denied down the road to your friend too. It can't be so far away that it would result in turning down a chance for adventure like this...
It's not even a mile from campus, which is part of the reason why I want to go down there myself. Unless I get an online update about my friend's status, I think I will head down there after my classes today.

100Chuck said:
Call the jail before you visit it may save you a trip. Plus a jail is the last place you want to go and try to talk someone in to something.
I did call, but the lady didn't seem interested in helping. Probably should take it as a hint. :peace:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
If he's as good a friend as you say he is, of course head down and get in to see him. If you can't get in, ask alot of questions and see if you can "muscle" your way in. It's a police station after all, not a Mafia den, and there's nothing they can do you to you if you ask questions in a reasonable manner.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ask questions in a calm and respectful manner and you should do fine. Explain your situation and if you are not happy ask to speak to the Sergeant on duty or the Senior Officer in charge. You will have to provide valid photo ID and you may be required to go through a metal detector etc....Speaking from experience after 19 years in Federal Law Enforcement. :)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, class is over in about 10 minutes, and I think I'm going to go over to the jail. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I am a Corrections Officer in a County Jail. The way it works where I am is that your name has to be on a list in order to visit the inmate. Then that inmate (depending on their custody level) has only certain days and times that they are allowed to visit. Oh... and they can "refuse" to see their visitors. Not to mention if they are being a real pain the visit can be canceled. Don't give the Officers any attitude. They'll throw you out as well. But they will definitely work with you if you ask questions.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it turns out that they use a list, and to no surprise, I'm not on the list. Just family, apparently. Time to write the letter...

Thanks for the help everyone!

P.S.: I was nice and not thrown out... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts