Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be bringing my Escape in on Friday morning to get everything tinted. What questions should I be asking the tint shop about the type of tint they will be using?

Here is their website: http://ziebart.com/Index.aspx?mid=1&PageId=71.

Which should I go with? I would appreciate all the help you guys can give me.

As you probably can guess, I'm a n00b at tinting...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I noticed in the High Performance film illustration, it says there's a "Metalized layer". When this is in tint, it gives it a silvery mirror-like color. Personally, I HATE the look of silver tint.. seems rather ricey to me. And since you don't live in an area that sees constant extreme temperatures, there's no need for high performance tint anyways. I would just go with the standard, regular black tint. My two cents. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got back from JN Phillips Auto Glass and now my Escape is sporting a brand new windshield WITHOUT THAT DAMN BLUE TINT SHADE! YAY! Looking at the weather for the next week or two, I see never-ending rain in the forecast. I want to get my car tinted when there is no rain in sight. I therefore moved my appointment to get my car tinted to this Wednesday, two days earlier than expected.

My question is, with my new windshield, is this going to be enough time to let the urethane adhesive holding the windshield to the car adhere properly?

Also, I had a couple of defroster line cracks on my back glass that I repaired. One day was able to check it out and I think that everything worked fine. My question is, what if they tint over the lines that didn't work and they don't work after the tint job. Can this tint be pulled up without ripping off the other lines to repair the lines again? Like I said, I THINK everything worked properly, I'm just nervous because isn't tint permanent?

TIA

·
Registered
31 Posts
you should make sure everything works right before you tint becaus if you have to pull up the tint to fix you will be paying to re tint that window :thumb:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I go about testing the defroster lines when the window is not fogged up though?

·
Registered
321 Posts
jhande08 said:
I just got back from JN Phillips Auto Glass and now my Escape is sporting a brand new windshield WITHOUT THAT DAMN BLUE TINT SHADE! YAY! Looking at the weather for the next week or two, I see never-ending rain in the forecast. I want to get my car tinted when there is no rain in sight.
How come?? You can't roll down your windows for a few days after getting them tinted, might as well be while it's raining right, ya know?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh, doesn't matter. I'm getting them done sooner than expected so its all good!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just got back from dropping off my Escape at the tint shop. They told me that they use 43% tint because the car naturally has a solar tint that will bring it down to 35-39%. Is this usually what tint shops do? Please advise...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I never knew 43% tint existed lol.. I probably still woulda gone for 35%.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said, they said that it will get me to 35% with the factory solar tinting already there.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just want to stay legal...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
this can help you stay legal.

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

i also carry a copy of the receipt in my truck. and if i get pulled over i will play stupid. thankfully ontario was great with their law making and made the A-B pillars up to the officers discretion. but i can pretty much do whatever i want from the B-Back.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, CrashNBurn, I've seen that website before. Funny thing for Massachusetts:

Enforcement Note : People with 35% tint have been given tickets for tinting due to light meters reading less than 35% since car glass can have from 70% to 90% window tint.

That's I guess the reason the tint shop does 43% (i.e. in order to not actually go below 35% due to the factory tinting...)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick question:

It is supposed to rain for the next week or so. My car windows are getting tinted tomorrow. Will the rain effect the tint drying in any way?

TIA

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
the only thing that will effect the tint is the temperature and you putting your window down. i had mine done it was the middle of winter. so i had to keep my windows up for a few extra days. thats about it. just dont put your windows down for the 4-5 days that they tell you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So rain won't affect it then, am I right?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
nope they are applied using water with soap lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nope im not right or nope i am right... lol

·
Registered
1,283 Posts