Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 07 XLS with a aftermarket single din HU right now and wanted to make sure that I can reuse the existing kit for a double din. I think that I'm gonna pull the trigger on the new Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD :rockon:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
chicagofan said:
I've got an 07 XLS with a aftermarket single din HU right now and wanted to make sure that I can reuse the existing kit for a double din. I think that I'm gonna pull the trigger on the new Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD :rockon:
I think that depends entirely on what kit you bought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may just order the new HU from crutchfield with the free kit and wiring harness if they will still send them. I know that they say you can't do the double din for my year.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
chicagofan said:
I may just order the new HU from crutchfield with the free kit and wiring harness if they will still send them. I know that they say you can't do the double din for my year.
Well you could throw your money away like that.

Or you could order it from a reputable dealer on eBay, or millionbuy / sonicelectronix / woofersetc and then order the cheap kit along with it... and end up a lot more wealthy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion :) The price difference between Crutchfield and anyone else is $50. Is that worth purchasing from a authorized dealer? My current HU is a Pioneer 7800mp and I haven't had a bit of problems with it over the 3 yrs I've owned it so I don't know :shrug:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
chicagofan said:
Thanks for the suggestion :) The price difference between Crutchfield and anyone else is $50. Is that worth purchasing from a authorized dealer? My current HU is a Pioneer 7800mp and I haven't had a bit of problems with it over the 3 yrs I've owned it so I don't know :shrug:
$50 is worth buying from the Crutch.

I would have thought the price would be significantly cheaper. Fun to be wrong.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
See, I thought it would be more like this:

Pioneer X910bt
Crutchfield $799

most other places:
$549.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gotcha :thumb: The release date on these is friday(the 19th)and $499.99 is what Crutchfield has them for. The MSRP is $549.99 on Pioneer's website which I thought was outstanding for what you get.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
chicagofan said:
I gotcha :thumb: The release date on these is friday(the 19th)and $499.99 is what Crutchfield has them for. The MSRP is $549.99 on Pioneer's website which I thought was outstanding for what you get.
Well as an owner of the F900BT, I can say that Pioneers are great units BUT definitely are not perfect. It is good to see that the programming is now done in-house instead of 3rd party, which was a problem until just a couple model years ago.

That said, $499 is pretty good, and the freebies will definitely cover the price gap.

Remember with Pioneers, NEVER hot-swap RCA's on them. Always power down the unit entirely before making any changes to a system, and always double-ground the unit. One through the wiring harness, one from the chassis itself directly to the vehicle.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Double Din installed in a 2005 Escape Hybrid. The 07 is identical to the 2005 model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:thumb: Thanks for all the help! I'll make sure to remember the hot swap and grounding tips. I should be ordering the HU friday and installing it by next week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Billyk said:

Double Din installed in a 2005 Escape Hybrid. The 07 is identical to the 2005 model.
Hey Billyk (or anyone who's installed a double din),
What dash kit did you use for that install? I just got the AVIC-X910bt and need to get a double din dash kit. I read from a very old post that you don't need a dash kit, just use the trim piece that the unit comes with. Perfect...if that's true? And my unit didn't come with a "trim" piece. Do I need a trim piece, a dash kit or will it really just slide in?

And for Fourthmeal,
When you say double ground, can you take another ground wire directly to the vehicle from the ground coming from the back of the unit (via factory wiring harness) and just split connection? One going into the wiring harness and the other going directly to the vehicle? Did that make any sense.

Thanks guys

PS: this will be going in a 2006 XLT

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
For double-ground, you run one ground from the point of the head unit's harness, and one from the chassis of the unit itself, to the same common ground point. This helps protect when you lose ground through the head unit due to, say, the harness point failing. The only ground left would be through the RCA's, which will damage the head unit internally, and pop the "pico fuse" within. Its a bitch to fix.

·
Registered
66 Posts
fourthmeal said:
For double-ground, you run one ground from the point of the head unit's harness, and one from the chassis of the unit itself, to the same common ground point. This helps protect when you lose ground through the head unit due to, say, the harness point failing. The only ground left would be through the RCA's, which will damage the head unit internally, and pop the "pico fuse" within. Its a b**ch* to fix.
Hey fourthmeal - sorry if this is a dumb question :confused: but wanted to clarify something. Your saying I do the secondary ground directly from the unit? So I take a ground wire and take it directly from the back of the unit to the ground in the car? Could I loosen a screw on the back of the unit and stick a wire under that? Sorry, just never heard of this secondary ground so I want to make sure I do it correctly?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
bobes75 said:
fourthmeal said:
For double-ground, you run one ground from the point of the head unit's harness, and one from the chassis of the unit itself, to the same common ground point. This helps protect when you lose ground through the head unit due to, say, the harness point failing. The only ground left would be through the RCA's, which will damage the head unit internally, and pop the "pico fuse" within. Its a b**ch* to fix.
Hey fourthmeal - sorry if this is a dumb question :confused: but wanted to clarify something. Your saying I do the secondary ground directly from the unit? So I take a ground wire and take it directly from the back of the unit to the ground in the car? Could I loosen a screw on the back of the unit and stick a wire under that? Sorry, just never heard of this secondary ground so I want to make sure I do it correctly?

Thanks
An aftermarket HU should not ground through the factory harness. Usually it is better to find a close spot somewhere in the dash that is a better ground. So you run from the harness to that ground point, then make a second run from the head unit's chassis (usually a small machine screw hole in the back assures this) to the same ground point as before. Double-ground. I mention its importance with Pioneers, especially. Its because they have unique pico-fuses that are soldered into the board, and a bad ground point will blow the fuse, and you can't easily replace them. Other brands don't really do this, but you could still end up with a damaged unit with a bad ground, so its not a bad idea to do it to all brands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts