Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone familiar with which radar detector would work best in canada?

i dont want to spend 500+ for the STI that suposidly is un-detectable to the specter that our police now have. but i do want something that at least does a good job. its not legal here so i figured i would hardwire it to a switch and hide the actual unit. if i get a beep then i turn off the detector and i should be safe (hopfully).

anyone in the same situation?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't know where in Canada you are but in this province (Quebec) mere possession of a radar detector will get you a $1000 ticket + confiscation. You may want to check your provinces laws.

Also, here most radar ops use laser radars (lidar, Montreal police uses mostly the LTI Ultralyte 100LR), so by the time your detector spots it, they've already clocked you. Only a laser jammer can "help" you, but that will get you charged for resisting arrest on top of the detector ticket (but will avoid the speed ticket) as the cops will instantly know their lidar has been jammed.

Pat

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Different services use different radar/LIDAR equipment. I think the Genesis II is more common here than Spectre, and TPS may be using the Bee III in some cars. I've heard of Ultralytes used around Ottawa.

No radar detector is undetectable - if the radar hits you and you suddenly slow down, guess what? Not sure what the exact fine is, but it gets confiscated and meets a sledgehammer. Turned on or turned off doesn't matter - even having one boxed up in the trunk is a violation.

Legal alternative is a CB radio, listen to bear warnings from truckers. :lol:

EDIT: Psst...no such thing as "laser radar" :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Squishy said:
EDIT: Psst...no such thing as "laser radar" :D
Indeed, but a "laser radar" is what most people call lidar. :)

I have no use for a radar detector as I don't really roll too fast, but the "radar detector" I most often use is the "red light" model... (you know the sports car, or tricked out honda with the campbells soup can muffler in the left lane suddenly slamming the brakes :lol: )

Pat

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Not sure if any, are being used in adelaide.
I would rather, not take the chance.
Anyway we have, a strict demerits point system over here.
Plus all traffic fines are quite nasty.
#
There is a, terminal block under my dashboard.
Eventually i want to, power my " Garmin Quest: from it.
Any other spare room, is utilised for my ICOM transceivers.
~~
With all due respect, i apologise in advance.
If a radar device, is your preference so be it.
But personally i regard it as futile.
I agree with Lord Velveeta.

##
Just think of all that nice money, you may have to give away for government.
$1,000 EEEEK! :shock: Plus having the device confiscated.
That is a very expensive gamble ,you are definitely risking. :shrug:
Sorry, but it is not my cup of tea.
~~

Personally, i reckon you are better off ,installing some other gadget.
Obviously it needs to be a device, that will not get you in trouble with the law. :yes:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
No use for a detector around here. I can't drive fast enough to get a ticket. Too much traffic for one thing. Six cylinders in a F-150 is much push is another. As for the Tribbie, it's a four banger, not exactly a JATO rocket... :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Beltronics Vector 995 and am very happy with its performance. Here in BC we have no laws against RD use. I'm not a speed demon by any means but it has saved my bacon on a few occasions, has already paid for itself and I have to admit I feel kinda naked driving without it. Ya, I know that sounds kinda wierd but you'd know what I mean if you had one.
The 995 has complete VG-2 immunity, which means law enforcement won't know you are using a radar detector, but there are other RDD devices the LEOs use and the STi looks to have all of them covered.
If your determined to use a RD in an area outlawed for there use I'd suggest you pony up and get the best one available. My vote goes to the STi.
http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Beltr ... driver.htm
If you want to make it visually undetectable mount it inside a klennex box that sits on your dash. That's what I did years ago when I was in Ontario. Have it so you can remove it quickly if need be.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well I dont know which one would do you the best in Canada, I can say I've used many different models, and finally settled on the Valentine One and and will never go back to anything else. I did some quick Googleing and it looks like Canada uses similar bands and types of radar that we do here in the states, so it should do just fine for you. I'm not sure if you guys have started to use it up there but the newer Valentine One 's are Ku capable. There has been a little talk of using it here, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hate to state the obvious here.... How about just don't speed. I never understood the reason to go that fast. HWY speed limit 100 KLMS and you can pretty much go 115 and your ok anyway and thats plenty fast. These people that fly around at 140 plus or what ever are fools and put their lives and the lives of others especially on the roads in danger. Probably not what you want to hear but Ill be honest, there are far to many cowboys on the roads that drive like idots. I like to get home every night with my children safe.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Speed itself isn't as dangerous as most people seem to believe it is. What makes it dangerous is our rather large proportion of drivers who make dangerous lane changes, fail to follow lane discipline, and make other unpredictable moves. Until our driver education improves and the public is able to move away from the "Speeding is bad, m'kay" line of thought and traffic enforcement, I completely agree with nicker22. However, should we ever get to the point of requiring better driving skills on the road, I have no problem with increased speed limits.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Breensy ... road rules are of provincial jurisdiction. In quebec the ticket is $1000 + confiscation for mere possession. Many years ago I used to work in the court system and handled the local cops tickets on a daily basis. Every week I'd see one or two of those $1000 tickets go by. Of course I don't know about the law in other provinces.

Pat

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
If you're already getting pulled over, I don't see how a detector would make a difference. If they want you, they'll get you. And now you have something else to entice a ticket.

If you're really getting "picked on" by the local constabulary, invest the money in a dashcam and start lodging complaints.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Eh, I have a cheap cobra that I bought for 50 dollars.. It worked, maybe twice. So it paid its self off the first time. I do believe there is a difference between a fast driver and a safe driver. There are too many people who are one and not the other though. Being able to have both comes with driving experience. The more experience you have, the faster you can drive while being safe.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well this all started with my gf buying me a rd from russia for my bday. Unfortunatly it doesnt work well here (called supercat?) so i wanted toreplace it with a working one. However after finding out about the demerit points i dont think its worth it. Also squishy good point, unfortunatly they arent doing ne thing wrong they just pull me over everytime they see me then let me go unless they decide to hand out a 10 or 15 over ticket.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I've got an old, inexpensive Whistler R.D. that I basically keep around as a reminder to pay attention to speed. Over the last 5 or 6 years I've slowed down and calmed down a lot (2 tickets and $4 gas prices will do that to a person). There are the occasional times where I just don't realize how fast I'm going. My RD helps keep me in line because it beeps all the time. My only issue is since it beeps all the time, I'm starting to tune it out...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
RobtRoma said:
I've got an old, inexpensive Whistler R.D. that I basically keep around as a reminder to pay attention to speed. Over the last 5 or 6 years I've slowed down and calmed down a lot (2 tickets and $4 gas prices will do that to a person). There are the occasional times where I just don't realize how fast I'm going. My RD helps keep me in line because it beeps all the time. My only issue is since it beeps all the time, I'm starting to tune it out...
What? No cruise control?

I have had them, and still as of yet don't miss any of the beeping and squaking.

No speeding tickets for over thirty-five years! I have owned some pretty fast rides in that time as well...

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Breensy said:
Well this all started with my gf buying me a rd from russia for my bday. Unfortunatly it doesnt work well here (called supercat?) so i wanted toreplace it with a working one. However after finding out about the demerit points i dont think its worth it. Also squishy good point, unfortunatly they arent doing ne thing wrong they just pull me over everytime they see me then let me go unless they decide to hand out a 10 or 15 over ticket.
How can they legitimately hand out 10- or 15-over tickets if you aren't speeding?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
jonas1022 said:
What? No cruise control?
Yea... cruise control on the Garden State Parkway or NJ Turnpike :hyst:

jonas1022 said:
No speeding tickets for over thirty-five years! I have owned some pretty fast rides in that time as well...
:clap: Very good! I never got a ticket while driving my Civic. I went 12 years. Then, I get 2 moving violations (neither one speeding) over a 3 year period in my Escape. One I truly deserved (stress made me do something really stupid). The other was a bunch of BS (and cost me over $400). I've been ticket free for at least 2 years now and I hope to keep that up for a long time...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts