Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an accident with my Escape back in 2004. The accident was my fault; I rearended someone. I was 17. When I went to the repair shop, they wanted to replace my radiator, as it had some dents in it from where the truck in front of me collided with my Escape. The radiator worked fine though, so I told them not to replace it to save a penny or two. Now the cosmetics of the radiator are bothering me. Whenever I walk by the front of the Escape, I look inside the grille and see these dents, some of which are of pretty good size. Part of me wants to get the radiator replaced, but since it works as good as new, I know there is no need. I feel like these marks take away from the beauty of the Escape. What do you guys think? What would you do?

:roll:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Probably does, I also would have been concerned about circulation issues with the damage done to it. You should have seen the cost to replace the radiator on my Hybrid, they have a twin cooling system. ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no circulation issues. Engine still runs at 193-195 degrees. Cool as a cucumber...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weebee said:
Probably does, I also would have been concerned about circulation issues with the damage done to it. You should have seen the cost to replace the radiator on my Hybrid, they have a twin cooling system. ;)
Why are you going to go and make me paranoid, weebee??? It's been fine for 4 years. I think I would have noticed circulation/overheating issue by now...

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
jhande08 said:
weebee said:
Why are you going to go and make me paranoid, weebee??? It's been fine for 4 years. I think I would have noticed circulation/overheating issue by now...
I don't think it is an issue myself. As long as the radiator works functionally, I would not change it out. :pug:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you cbramsey. Sounds like someone knows the value of a dollar. Especially a 17 year old's dollar...

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I guess it would have helped if I read the part about the accident happening in 2004. :bang: Sorry about that. :spank: :bust:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you think it's probably fine then, weeebes?

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Oh yes, you should be fine. I'm heading to lens crafters to get me glasses checked though!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
it should be fine, the only purpose of the fins is to create more surface area for the heat to dissipate from the radiator to the air. if its not leaking its not broken.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Big Chris said:
I'd leave it until you rear end another person, then get a brand new rad. :thumb: :)
:hyst: :doh:

jhande08 said:
........ Now the cosmetics of the radiator are bothering me. Whenever I walk by the front of the Escape, I look inside the grille and see these dents, some of which are of pretty good size. Part of me wants to get the radiator replaced, but since it works as good as new, I know there is no need. I feel like these marks take away from the beauty of the Escape. What do you guys think? What would you do?
:roll:
Have any pics of how it looks??? But, from what you describe. I would leave it alone till, someone I knew saw it and said something like "What in the heck did you do to your radiator, PK! Then I might replace it. Don't get me wrong, here. I love our Escapes and I take very good care of them. (over kill at times) But, they still serve the same function. They get us from point A to point B. So, in other words. If You want it to look better. Replace it. If it'll make you count your $$$ and save. I would leave it alone. You may need the extra $$$ down the road for something more important. Like Gas or Insurance.......
edit; Leave it alone...... I went to look up what a new one costs. 160/200 dollars. That's not counting, labor, new coolant, hoses etc. Your looking at $400 easy........... :rant: I'm sure you have better things to do with that.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
"If ain't broke don't fix it!"
:horse:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two hypothetical questions for all of you:

1. Let's say, hypothetically, the radiator coolant flow was restricted from these dents, what would happen?

2. If the radiator stops working/leaks/breaks, will my engine be toast?

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
1) couldn't happen
2) just keep driving over 30 mph and dont stop...you shouldn't overheat then :tease:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just curious, why couldn't #1 happen?

·
Registered
611 Posts
jhande08 said:
Two hypothetical questions for all of you:

1. Let's say, hypothetically, the radiator coolant flow was restricted from these dents, what would happen?

2. If the radiator stops working/leaks/breaks, will my engine be toast?

TIA
Hypothetically answering;
1. It will, run hot/over heat, occasionally. IF, the flow of coolant is restricted.
2. No, your engine should not be toast. You state that you have the scan gauge-II. You also have the temperature gauge on your dash. If your dash temperature gauge is heading to the RED zone. Do not drive any farther than possible. Or, the engine could be toast.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I'm just being obsessive about these dents in my radiator. I don't want them to take away from the front of the Escape. Except I know that I am the only one who knows they are there... I mean, you have to look into the grille to see the damage...

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Your not being obsessive. You just care about your vehicle. (and no I'm not Dr. Phil) I've got two (small) door dents on the passenger side. Nobody else sees/notices them. But, I know where they are... Just monitor your temp gauges. Chances are, it was just a surge at the moment thing.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
jhande08 said:
I guess I'm just being obsessive about these dents in my radiator. I don't want them to take away from the front of the Escape. Except I know that I am the only one who knows they are there... I mean, you have to look into the grille to see the damage...

What do you guys think?
Spend the money on a custom grille, then you won't have to see the rad at all. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts