Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm thinking of trimming half of my rear bumper down. So the width would remain but the depth would be cut right at the indentation mold. This will allow me to slide down whoops or back up over whoops w/o beating the crud out of it. I will also be changing the mounting system for my rear bumper. Without the plastic bumper I'll be able to raise the brackets and get rid of the hitch. I will actually weld the hitch where the spare tire used to sit. That will mainly be used as a stiffner like I made for the front unit body. In this case, again I hope i'll never get to test the stiffners but at least it creates a peace of mind if I were to make a huge misread of the landscape and hit something that I didn't see. :shock:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Interesting concept for off roading YES, would it look weird, MOST LIKELY. Are you scrapping your back end on the down sides????

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm glad I did not face such issues with the 2004 grey rear bumper.Only thing I did, I used bolts instead of those toy plastic clips that kept breaking to the point of sending me to the shrink.Both my bumper covers have taken quite a beating and still holding. I wish the damn front brake rotors were of the same quality.They see clouds in the sky and they get warped.
What megascape is thinking is common practice with many off-roaders.It is efficient, practical and trustworthy.My only concern is whether it will be street legal.As for the aesthetics of it, well, it might look like an Iraqi widow dressed in pink but...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts