Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I remember hearing something about the '05-'07 Escapes having rear disk brakes. Is this true? If so, wouldn't it be possible to swap the drums out for the disks?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Our 07 has rear discs.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
The problem really is everything else you have to change to do this. The Master cylinder, ABS system are all different from the drum setup. To be honest the rear disks have not proven to be much more effective they just look cooler. Infact I have heard those that run in the mud (off road) prefer drums over rear disks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I was reading a test of the newer Escape online magazine, and they show the stopping distance to be equal to the drum brakes. So, imo there is no advantage. Except for maybe shows.

·
Registered
611 Posts
jonas1022 said:
I was reading a test of the newer Escape online magazine, and they show the stopping distance to be equal to the drum brakes. So, imo there is no advantage. Except for maybe shows.
I too, have read articles. That state, there is no advantage with 4 wheel disc's vs Front disc rear drum set-up for passenger cars and trucks.

Big Chris said:
Save your money and just paint the drums & front callipers. :thumb:
Great Idea BC......... :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
PK, do you remember where you read those articles? I was drawing a blank and wanted to post a link, but couldn't remember where it was that they tested the Escape with the rear disks... :shrug:

·
Registered
611 Posts
jonas1022 said:
PK, do you remember where you read those articles? I was drawing a blank and wanted to post a link, but couldn't remember where it was that they tested the Escape with the rear disks... :shrug:
One article, that I do remember was in the Detroit Free-Press. When, ?????? But it was about GM going back to drums for pick-ups. It stated that, there was no difference in braking operation and that it was also "cheaper" etc. I do not remember the Escape being named as one of them. The others?? I just don't remember the specifics. But they were basically the same info. I'll try searching tonight for them.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts