Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a painted rear bumper that is getting pretty abused by old dog hopping most of the way in to the hatch. Lifting old Merlin results in a humiliating look from him and rude noises and groans emanating from both dog and myself :mad: . Ramps are out as I need all the space I can get with the two of them. I'm considering using a black sprayed on polyurethane on just the top surface to hide claw marks and to add a bit of traction. You know, like the spray on bedliners for trucks. I know it isn't going to be a winner in any consmetic contest but having shiny paint on the top seems like a poor idea to begin with. Crazy idea? I wonder if it can later be stripped and repainted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Visually since your truck is black, if you did a clean job taping off an area and a nice shape then spray you should be able to get a clean look, if you can manage make the shape you like out of cardboard first and then spray it with that rattle can bed liner stuff and stick it where you would if you sprayed your truck just to give you an idea. Don't know if that helps but your idea sounds pretty good

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
There are dog slings that can be purchased for about twenty bucks. They go down and around his individual hind legs and are attached in the middle (not a problem for the dogs personal parts as they have been taken into account). I am sure he can pick up his front paws, correct? Then you only have the back half. :)

We had this issue with our old collie that had hip displasia. He is long gone now... :(

·
Registered
416 Posts
As long as you do it with proper preparation, it will look fine. I recently removed a spray in bed-liner off a truck. It takes work, but it can be done, if you don't like it. By prep, I mean masking, and surface preparation. That is key to the bed-liner adhering correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts