Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a leak in the rear diff that appears to be coming from the seal around the axles on each side. It tooks me awhile to pinpoint it untill I topped up the rear diff with fluid and wiped it all down. After about an hour of driving I could see a lot of fluid around where each rear axle goes into the diff. After driving it and parking I can litterally watch the fluid for the first couple minutes run down the diff and drip about once every 20 seconds untill it all settles.

My question is this. How labour intensive of a job is this? Ive done some searching here and on the web and couldnt find much assistance. Im not sure how to go about replacing these seals or even the proper term for them? Im pretty competant when it comes to working on vehicles but have never worked with or around a diff. Not sure if this is best left to the mechanics or if its a simple DIY job. Any one done this job themselves or know how? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'd call them rear half-shaft seals. Considering that you must remove both rear wheels, hubs and half-shafts while on jack stands working flat on your back. It doesn't sound like much fun. You must remove the old seals and install the new ones without damaging them. The dealers have seal removal/installation kits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had noticed leaking (not nearly as bad as yours, just oil around the seal, no visible drips) from the rear left seal and took it to the dealer. Turns out that they needed to replace the rear differential. They said from outward appearances it looked like just the seal, especially since the fluid level was fine. Maybe I can get more information when I pick it up tomorrow. I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Im gonna take it into a shop and let them fix it as I have other stuff on my hands at the moment. I cant see the whole diff needing replacement from just a leak at the seals. GrafxRob, I would be a little suspicious if they told me that. Shouldnt need replacement unless its a total failure or signifigant internal gear damage of the diff. In my case, I know its coming out of the seals and there is no crack in the case. Truck runs and sounds fine other than the leaking. I would be curious to hear how u made out though.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Mine was leaking a while back. I took it to a local mechanic who replaced it for me. Cost me about $300... mostly labor...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RobtRoma said:
Mine was leaking a while back. I took it to a local mechanic who replaced it for me. Cost me about $300... mostly labor...
Thanks. My local mechanic quoted me $380 something. Gave a old friend of mine a call that also has an escape and works on cars in his spare time. Turns out, he actually did his own seals about 6 months ago. He told me he would do it for $200 all included. Ill be handing it over to him this weekend and probably get him to do the oil pan gasket while hes got it on the hoist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts