Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 01 escape 4wd v6 and im wanting to upgrade the stopping power on my ride.The 05 and up escapes have discs in the rear....i want them,anyone have any clue whether i could swap in the rear disc setup off of a newer escape onto mine??? Any info would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
574 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my 09 is that unlike most other cute-utes, it has drums on the rear.

Unless you are driving under track conditions, there is absolutely no need for rear disc brakes. They are expensive to service, they often rust up due to under-use (since the fronts do upwards of 80% of braking) and generally do not work as well as a parking brake without constant adjustment.

If I had a Porsche 911, I'd want 4 wheel vented discs. On an ordinary car/SUV/minivan/pickup, I don't see the benefit.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discs work better when wet and hot. I've been working on vehicles since the late 60s and I do not miss drum brakes when it comes to replacing the shoes or cutting the drums.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
But the question is will you notice any difference in the actual stopping power with this mod and the answer is NO. You might spend thousands trying to look cool and get nothing for it and it will not be notice because other escape like the 05 have them. Id spend the money elsewhere... and have.

I thought about this too about 5 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts