Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2006 XLT have rear discs. Its time to change the pads.
Is there any special tools or procedures required for the job.
All tip is help full

·
Registered
311 Posts
hi,

I recently did fronts 2007 Escape 4x4 3.0L, I saw there was two different configurations of rear - Disc only, or Disk/Drum. I don't know how to tell other than to take off the wheel and look behind the rotor for another assembly. This is where the drum housing would be. I bet the auto parts store (if you're not getting Ford for OEM parts) will ask you this. They may help you take a look, but maybe someone else can help explain.

Once you peel the wheel off with 5 lugs, you'll need a 8mm allen wrench to loosen the bolts on the caliper. There will be caps covering the bolt holes for the caliper bolts, and my fronts also had a retaining clip that I had to put pressure on before it would release. Once the clip is off and the bolts are clear, the caliper should peel off. Push the brake cylinder in, replace pads, and re-assemble. I've done several brake jobs in the past, and the front was much different than I have ever seen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SilverAthlon said:
hi,

I recently did fronts 2007 Escape 4x4 3.0L, I saw there was two different configurations of rear - Disc only, or Disk/Drum. I don't know how to tell other than to take off the wheel and look behind the rotor for another assembly. This is where the drum housing would be. I bet the auto parts store (if you're not getting Ford for OEM parts) will ask you this. They may help you take a look, but maybe someone else can help explain.

Once you peel the wheel off with 5 lugs, you'll need a 8mm allen wrench to loosen the bolts on the caliper. There will be caps covering the bolt holes for the caliper bolts, and my fronts also had a retaining clip that I had to put pressure on before it would release. Once the clip is off and the bolts are clear, the caliper should peel off. Push the brake cylinder in, replace pads, and re-assemble. I've done several brake jobs in the past, and the front was much different than I have ever seen.
Thanks for the tip. Do I need to lubricate any surface of the caliper ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
well not to the caliper itself, just the brake caliper bolts that you loosen. Wipe clean and reapply fresh grease. I've seen people go as far as to add a Permatex adhesive product "anti-squeal" to the back of the pad, which touches the caliper. You can find brake bolt grease right at the front counter of most any auto parts store. If you take some time to remove corrosion/buildup from retaining clips using scotch-brite or fine grit sandpaper you'll do yourself a favor in the re-assembly department.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts