Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear hatch won't unlock, no matter how many times I try. I don't hear any sounds coming from it when I press the button. All the other doors unlock fine.

This has happened before, but it would usually unlock after a few tries. It's been stuck locked for more than a day, and it's starting to get annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Do you heear the click of the actuator or is it silent? If you do hear it then the latch is stuck and might need lube and or re-alignment, if not then the actuator is likely bad. Now getting at it with the lid closed might be thr toughest part of this fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news and bad news....I got it unlocked, but now it won't lock again.

Should I bring it to a Ford dealer to fix, or is it easy to fix myself?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined you can save yourself a few bucks and do it yourself. :) If not, make the appointment at the dealership. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I would fix it soon, whether by yourself or through warranty. If it is stuck in the locked position for good, then it is very hard if not impossible to get the trim off without damage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If it is the lock actuator (the motor that locks and unlocks it) and its going to be several dollars to fix it, you might can use a universal door lock actuator to fix it for about $10. If you need one, let me know. This is if it is out of warranty, if it is still under warranty let Ford do it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
monkey-1 said:
If it is the lock actuator (the motor that locks and unlocks it) and its going to be several dollars to fix it, you might can use a universal door lock actuator to fix it for about $10. If you need one, let me know. This is if it is out of warranty, if it is still under warranty let Ford do it.

It's obvious that the beige rectangle thing is the actuator. Does the universal actuator you were talking about look like it will work with that?

If it does, I need one. Do you sell them?

·
Registered
77 Posts
SPARTEN II said:
monkey-1 said:

It's obvious that the beige rectangle thing is the actuator. Does the universal actuator you were talking about look like it will work with that?

If it does, I need one. Do you sell them?
Yes I do and can send you one for $12 shipped. Just make sure that you have only 2 wires going to it so it will wire right up. Also, just to make sure, contact the Ford dealer to see how much it will cost to replace it. Here is a picture of a basic actuator:

It is a universal actuator so you will have to make it work, but that doesnt look like it would be too hard. Shoot me an email if you have any questions: studmonkey at bellsouth dot net.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Greeted by an malfunctioning rear hatch and 10 bags of groceries in 90 degrees today. Thanks again to Escape-City and a member with a solution. Ford is trying to make all their profit with parts price abuse $140+ ;-|
$10.70 from link below.
For those stuck with the hatch closed you can "pop" off the top corners of the back panel, then carefully lift center over the window latch. The bottom is attached with screws, so its going to stay put until you get it open, but you'll have enough access to unlock the mechanism.

The part # below has similar mounting holes, but be prepared to do a little fabrication with the linkage. I used the supplied rod, shortened, cushioned it with a nylon whsher, a few creative bends. Confirm wiring unlocks and locks with the proper button and linkage doesn't bind.

SPARTEN II said:
I finally fixed it. I found a new actuator online that fits perfectly.

Here is the link to the actuator if anyone else needs one for their Escape:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=330-582

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sparten, your link to a matching actuator shows that that actuator is no longer available. I think it's a German actuator and is no longer manufactured since I looked everywhere for it. I had the same problem and used the universal actuator recommended by Monkey-1. It required me to drill a couple holes but if you are a little handy it is a pretty simple job. It works and the new actuator has all the umph needed to move the lock mechanism. Much cheaper than the Ford parts shakedown.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My rear latch wont lock. I can hear noise from all the other doors but not from the trunk of the rear glass. you cn still open it after you lock it but the alram goes off. Any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts