Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my rear speakers decided to stop working and at first i thought it was the speaker itself. I never really fully investigated the problem since i figured i would be getting new speakers soon. However i replaced the speaker the other day and still no sound =/. I double checked the connection behind the head unit and everything seems great. All my other speakers work, anyone know what could be the source of the problem? Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I would run a set of test wires from the head unit to the speaker to make sure you don't have a broken/loose wire between the head unit and speaker. Is this the standard or audiophile head unit?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol bump, but i FINALLY got around to running test wires to the speaker, and another speaker, just in case. Unfortunately, still no luck whatsoever :cry: Anyone know what else it could be? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Sounds like you may have a dead channel. DO you have a OE or aftermarket HU??? So you pulled out that channel cable and tested on a new or old speaker??? And still nothing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an aftermarket headunit, and i plugged the new speaker into the speaker cables (left rear +,-) that come directly off the headunit. Dead channel? how can i go about fixing this? I was thinking it could be the wiring harness that came with the HU.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It's hard for me draw so I will explain. HEAD UNIT => HEAD UNIT WIRING HARNESS=> FORD WIRING HARNESS=> VEHICLE WIRING.
Did you test it at the first wiring harness? Dead channel is internal and nothing that can be done except send it back to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If sending back Isnt an option then try to test the pin out on the back of the radio without the harness.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You have to think logically. You know there is no signal getting to the left rear area. Could be a number of things. To start, pull out the HU. Find the speaker wire pair for the left rear (HU owners manual). From that point plug in a speaker matching up the +/-. If nothing then it is the HU or the HU harness. If you get a signal, then the issue is at the next junction. Go to the HU harness/Ford harness interface. If that looks good then tap into the speaker wires after the Ford harness. Again if you get a signal then your issue is in the wiring between harness and door. If not then it is the harness interface. Now follow the wiring to make sure nothing is broken, spliced, worn etc. It could also be the plug at the speaker causing the issue.

But start at the HU harness. From there work backwards. If you start at the HU and no signal then it is defective/broken.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
chowzilla said:
oskerb said:
If sending back Isnt an option then try to test the pin out on the back of the radio without the harness.
I have no idea how to do that, but i'm sure i can figure it out. any tips though?
Lets save the HU pinout for last cause its tricky if you dont know what to do. In mean time lets try this.
(dont mean to insult anyones intellegance on this one) Remove the HU wiring harness and check the continuity of the harness with a multimeter (voltmeter). Specificly the channel that is messing up. Place the meter on OHM check (some have the omega symbol to represent this) To see if you have open (broken cable) Place one lead of the meter on each end of the same cable. You SHOULD read 0 (zero) if you read nothing other than zero then the harness is broken at that channel. If you read zero then your good you have continuity in the cable.
Do this to the other harness as well. Let me know if this donest make sense

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since you have an aftermarket deck, who installed you deck? If it was a shop, take it back and if it was you then you probably have some lose wiring at the deck. If you did the install, I'm assuming you used connectors for the wiring and not just electrical tape. Make certain that all of your wires are properly connected at the deck and within the doors. Also, make certain that the positive wires are spooled together and likewise with negative power wires. This only helps if you did the install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts