Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace a broken rear windshield wiper arm, but there are also various nuts, washers, caps, etc I also need to replace. I can't figure out what all is missing that I need to track down. Any help (and sources for the parts!) would be greatly appreciated!
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Water Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The OEM ($$$) and aftermarket ($$) replacements for the Gen 2 come with the cover and the arm. If there are parts on the glass that you need, or that rusty nut, it isn't included. Should be easy to source a hardware store replacement for the nut. I think I paid $20 for an arm and blade for a 2012 that I helped someone replace. It wasn't rusty it was split like that, and it the metal bushing was hard to remove from the shaft, but not too bad.

Reactions: Mountain Escape

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
587 Posts
I need to replace a broken rear windshield wiper arm, but there are also various nuts, washers, caps, etc I also need to replace. I can't figure out what all is missing that I need to track down. Any help (and sources for the parts!) would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 2831
Hi Al, welcome to the city.
Clean it up, tape it off and spray paint it all black… Is it leaking on the inside? You probably only need to replace the arm. Some people want to replace a arm because the wiper blade is broken… Show us a video of what you got or something

use your Google, and search wiper arm for your year make and model specifically. You don't need to replace all the nuts and washers and stuff. I bet some will be offered with new mounting hardware though. Use your Google.

Soak it with penetrating oil before you attempt removal. Make sure you secure the inside piece of this unit when you attempt removal of arm, if the nut, or c-clip is frozen - stuck, you can break the glass trying to force removal.

go to a salvage yard near you if it more than looks ugly, the entire back glass including that wiper will probably cost you about $45, cheaper than the parts alone through aftermarkets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit of clarification: the cracked arm needs to be replaced and is easy enough to identify, what I should have specified I am trying to figure out is what components I am missing and need to replace that are between the arm and the handle and glass. Replacement arms I'm seeing don't appear to include those additional parts. The round cover / cap (8L8Z-17C526-A) is cracked and needs to be replaced. Other than that, months ago I noticed some crumbling pieces of stuff falling out from under the wiper arm cover - I think there was likely a washer or grommet or something in there that fell apart and is now gone.
I found this diagram elsewhere on the forum:

It looks like I need everything from the handle (44009A) on out to the arm? But this diagram doesn't seem to have the cap (8L8Z-17C526-A) and I can't figure out what part 46410 is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't forget there are two different wiper arm assemblies. Some have the handle integrated into the wiper like your photo, others have a separate handle from the wiper arm, as shown in the diagram you've posted. I'm not sure why a certain model has a certain handle/wiper arm, but I have a 2012 XLS and it has the separate ones

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't forget there are two different wiper arm assemblies. Some have the handle integrated into the wiper like your photo, others have a separate handle from the wiper arm, as shown in the diagram you've posted. I'm not sure why a certain model has a certain handle/wiper arm, but I have a 2012 XLS and it has the separate ones
Thanks, good to know. Any advice on how I can find the correct diagram and parts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts