Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not too shabby...and after driving mine around in the snow, I'm equally impressed with the overall abilities of these trucks, especially with the 4WD. Which reminds me, who designed/built the drivelines in these trucks anyways? Visteon or Dana/Spicer?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
They are handy as all heck, inexpensive, easy to drive, nicely appointed, and drive well! Handling adverse weather is just an additional benefit! ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wacky video, funky background music made me laugh.
For me the top reasons- The Escape holds 5 adults in comfort, V6 plenty of power, nice smooth highway manners, even better when the road turns to rutts and washboard, 4wd, great visual appeal :drool: , and most importantly large :p dog(s) have a nice area in the rear hatch.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
When out shopping at local supermarket, i just love how easily the items are kept in rear cargo bay. The actual loading and final unloading of goods is a breeze, because of sensible height of cargo floor and tailgate. :) :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i do wish the tailgate went up a little bit higher. im constantly cracking my head off the darn thing. :bang:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I thought I was going to have the same problem, but I soon found out that it comes up to my shoulders so I know it's there. Of course I hit my head against everything else :wall:

I've had my tribby for 3 weeks now and only have a few gripes; the chrome vent trim and I don't like the appearance of the radio/climate control.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I like the fact that the Escape has a perfect blend of everything.

People always windge about how it isnt a real 4x4 etc etc. I'll give you an example...

My Toyota Hilux is a real 4x4. It performs really well OFF ROAD with it's Diesel torque, live axles front and rear and 2 inch lift.
ON THE ROAD it doesn't perform too great. It handles pretty poorly with so much body roll, the live axles make for an uncomfortable ride and the engine is slugish.

The Tribute on the other hand has a good balance. OFF ROAD it is fairly limited but is still able to reach places a standard car couldn't. It performs much better on the beach then many other macho 4x4's.

ON THE ROAD it behaves like an ordinary car. It's very quick, it handles better then alot of sedans, it is small enough to make tight turns in car parks and is easy to maneuver in traffic. You simply can't do all these things in a true 4x4.

With my Tribute I am still able to explore bush land and beaches while still having the power and road manners of an ordinary car.
With my Hilux I am able to explore thicker bush land and thougher trails but not have a comfortable on road car.

My point is you can either have a dedicated 4x4 that is only any good for off road use or have an Escape which has the perfect balance of off road abilities and on road manners :)

End of rambling :lol:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello Tribby. I enjoyed giving your message a perusal. Actually you have summarised the reasons just nicely. In context of the posting title, you have " Hit the nail on the head". :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
stone said:
Hello Tribby. I enjoyed giving your message a perusal. Actually you have summarised the reasons just nicely. In context of the posting title, you have " Hit the nail on the head". :)
Cheers Stone :) It just annoys me how other 4x4ers are always bagging the Escape for it's lack of off road abilities.

If the tables were turned, I would like to see how a Land Cruiser would go against an Escape on a race track :lol:

I think an Escape would have an easier time keeping up with a Land Cruiser off road then a Land Crusier keeping up with an Escape on the track ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts