Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated I purchased an 08 Escape limited with a few minor probs. I thought no other but to ask here first as fellow escape owners may have experienced some of these issues and might know of the fix :) Problems i've spotted are :

I noticed the battery and battery compartment is terribly corroded!! on and 08??? Would ford replace this or would I have to contact the maker of the battery??

When slowing down the vehicle jerks (I thought possible brake buildup or warped rotors?)

The inside temperature display randomly changes between F and C (have to reset it each time it does this) I thought possibly due to corroded battery as I've noticed the head lights and interior lights flicker once in awhile.

When driving on bumpy or gravel roads are escapes rather noisy ie; sound like rattling/shuttering tires. Cheap suspension? or possible blown tire rods?

When starting the vehicle and it does it seat beat chimes and what not i hear a sound almost like the horn is silently honking with each chime... lol I actually had someone stand outside the vehicle to tell me if the horn was honking. I thought maybe another battery problem or crossed wires somewhere?

For now that's all that's really had me concerned. Any insight to these issues would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Welcome to the City!!!

:welcome: :welcome:

Well I can tell you the battery issue is not good! Not sure what you would have to do with that, but fixing that might solve some of those issues. I am not the most mechanical haha okay I am not mechanical at all but we have some very very very knowledgeable users that can answer your questions! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yeah I figure the flickering has a lot to do with the battery, not sure about the rest though. I am mechanically inclined, however this is my first ford and first suv. I'm use to tuning and modifying chevs :)

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
That is awesome that you are mechanical! I hope you enjoy your Escape once your problems are corrected. I was also looking at your screen name wondering and then it hit me! I was so excited :lol: That is what I call Ean and ppl look at me like I am crazy. :yes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ezcoppie said:
When driving on bumpy or gravel roads are escapes rather noisy ie; sound like rattling/shuttering tires. Cheap suspension? or possible blown tire rods?
Yes they are noisy...but it is mainly engine noise, and the suspension isnt the best designed out there though. Could also be bad/loose struts in the front. The spring on the strut on mine (an 07, 60k) kept popping out of its seat when turning, found out at the dealership (its still under warranty) somebody put the incorrect size spring on it and they put the correct size one on and no more popping.
It could also be bad end links, to fix that get some greaseable end links from Moog bec the OEM ones are not.
Your electrical problems are most likely caused by the battery terminals being severely corroded...and assuming you bought it at a ford dealership, they should have cleaned that area and all other things under the hood like they are supposed too, they do that at the one i go to. Take it back to them and have them clean it.
Is yours AWD?
Yours should be under warranty. Was it CPO? If it has less than 80k miles on it and since its an 08 its most likely still under warranty.

btw, :welcome: !

I also am mechanical and i fix up used off road rigs for others and "make" some myself, i mainly work with older ford pickups and Mitsubishi suvs.
currently fixing up an abandoned black '88 ford ranger

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think you acutally answered most of your questions. But the big one is, is it under some sort of warranty?

The battery compartment is a horrible situation, but should be a easy fix. Never done cause never seen a new Escape with that issue. I think your on your own for getting that replaced, Ford isnt going to replace it nor would the batter maker. Perhaps the dealership may help?

The jerking on slowing done. Your right again. However check your front bearigs to see if they are loose. How many miles do you have on the Escape?

The TEMP GAUGE is right again. I noticed this when swapping out my radio for aftermarket. every time I hit the battery on the post, it would change from F to C. So I would have to make contact until changed back to F. Check also the alternator assembly, see also if the cable is loose to the battery.

The rattling on the bumpy roads could be loose bearing. Besides that shocks, struts, and springs can play a factor depending on mileage and also how the Escape was used last. Check also the alternator to see if that is loose as mentioned above.

The horning beeping is a new one to me.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ezcoppie said:
As stated I purchased an 08 Escape limited with a few minor probs. I thought no other but to ask here first as fellow escape owners may have experienced some of these issues and might know of the fix :) Problems i've spotted are :

I noticed the battery and battery compartment is terribly corroded!! on and 08??? Would ford replace this or would I have to contact the maker of the battery??

That issue has to be fixed as soon as possible in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.Corrosion has mostly to do with use and abuse and not with age.

When slowing down the vehicle jerks (I thought possible brake buildup or warped rotors?)

Warped rotors might be the most probable cause, together with worn tie rod end bushings.

The inside temperature display randomly changes between F and C (have to reset it each time it does this) I thought possibly due to corroded battery as I've noticed the head lights and interior lights flicker once in awhile.

If you have corroded battery and tray, most likely you have corroded ground contacts too, which may be totally responsible for most of your electric and electronic mishaps.

No, Escapes are pretty smooth on gravel roads.Rattling has to be verified by a mechanic as to the specific cause, since there are too many reasons to mention them here, especially for a 2008 vehicle which apparently had its share of abuse.

When starting the vehicle and it does it seat beat chimes and what not i hear a sound almost like the horn is silently honking with each chime... lol I actually had someone stand outside the vehicle to tell me if the horn was honking. I thought maybe another battery problem or crossed wires somewhere?

As mentioned above, unless you have a good battery tray, battery and grounds it is extremely hard to pinpoint the culprit.

I wish you all the best and please keep us informed with your progress.

For now that's all that's really had me concerned. Any insight to these issues would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ean-The-Escape said:
That is awesome that you are mechanical! I hope you enjoy your Escape once your problems are corrected. I was also looking at your screen name wondering and then it hit me! I was so excited :lol: That is what I call Ean and ppl look at me like I am crazy. :yes:
Tell me about it, since 2001 when I'd spot an escape I'd always blurt out in a cheesy Spanish accent 'ezzzcoppie!!' and people would really question my sanity. It was great seeing the face of a gentlemen at a dealership regarding one and I called it and ezcoppie. I'm pretty sure he wondered if they got in a new limited edition model or something :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the useful insight guys! Yes there is still some remaining warranty. I'm sure the battery and tray and what not will not be covered. The rotors most likey won't be either. The escape has 85,000kms on it. Now that you mention it, all the things that could be wrong with the suspension, that has me worried. I'm not sure if any of that would be covered by remaining warranty. I'll have to double check that. I think the best bet would be taking it to the dealer. I bought it privately so this would be why these things were not addressed before I purchased it.

Thanks again!

Justto add, checked my warranty and the bearings will be covered. I'm 5,000km over the limited bumper to bumper warranty. Not sure if they'd work with me on that. I spoke with a dealer and he said the battery isn't covered. I was hoping at least the harness and tray would be I wonder if I were to contact the maker of the battery what they'd say?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go get a never start from walmart and a battery terminal cleaner. Replace the battery clean all the connectors, and see if that solves the problem. If not get a carfax on your vehicle and see if its a flood vehicle. If it was totaled out because of a flood it will be on the carfax. Thats what it sounds like to me. In that case you would have to have the vehicle completely rewired, and all the electronics replaced. Plus if it was totaled out the warranty no longer applies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a carfax on it and it came out clean. Original owner no accidents or major repairs. So I dunno why a battery would corrode like that. I'm going to address it myself and clean it all up in hopes it solves a few of my problems. I made a appointment at the dealer for a full inspection on Monday. Hopefully what they did will be covered by warranty. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it was never totaled out the warranty should still apply, look at the sticker inside your door it will tell you when it was made you have 3 years or 36K miles from that date. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Ezcoppie said:
Ean-The-Escape said:
Tell me about it, since 2001 when I'd spot an escape I'd always blurt out in a cheesy Spanish accent 'ezzzcoppie!!' and people would really question my sanity. It was great seeing the face of a gentlemen at a dealership regarding one and I called it and ezcoppie. I'm pretty sure he wondered if they got in a new limited edition model or something :)
hahaha :lol: That is awesome! It's okay I work with kids all day and they even question my sanity! :hyst: :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My wife stared calling it ES-KAA-PAY. I asked where she got that from and she told from FINDING NEMO, I guess where they are trying to escape from the tank. Since then I call it that. I think someone around here has it spelled the way it sounds alot better than I do.

Ezcoppie said:
Ean-The-Escape said:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't mean to put a rush on this, but winter is fast approaching. You probably already know this, but working on a vehicle, when it's cold, is a real PITA. I don't even bother going under it once it's driven over the first snow of the season.

If you don't know a good, knowledgeable, reliable mechanic, I'd suggest finding one. Have him (or her) go through the whole Escape and make a grocery list. Some repairs may be under warranty, some won't.

Dealer shops can do repairs, but remember, they're out to make money. IMHO, a good independent shop is worth their weight in gold.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Battery should be the Motorcraft battery, unless the Previous Owner installed a replacement battery, and it's the wrong size (unlikely, but possible) The corrosion could be a result of the battery being overcharged and boiling, it's shouldn't, but it too is possible. I'd check the voltage input while the vehicle is at rest, and while at idle. IIRC, 13.1vdc on your multimeter while running. And just below 12vdc (call it 11.9 vdc) with the engine off but ignition turned on.

You can clean that battery and acid mess up with some baking soda and water. Be sure to do that when it's well above freezing and has time to dry out before frezzing again. You are in Canada, eh?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Good luck with everything, I think wirebrushing the terminal and lubeing with terminal lube, then tightening the terminal will fix the problems. ;)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I am tempted to think that all that corrosion could be the result of accidental brake fluid spilling which was not properly flushed with lots and lots of clean water.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Do you have a picture of just how bad the corrosion is? I'm curious as heck.

Sorry to hear of all the problems - but once fixed, I promise you'll love it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts