Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Uhaul Valley hitch that is severely Rusted up. Its only two years old! I noticed that the weld on the hitch was showing some rust. So I started to scrape and sand and before I knew it I had removed 1/3 of the paint. So anyway I wire brushed it with a drill. and coated it with rustoleum rust converter. This stuff works great. It paints on white and turns black when its dry. It says to wait three days for paint. I bought rustoleum spray paint. But im not sure if it would be better to brush it on? Any suggestions. So rustoleum also makes a black hammered finish spray too. What do you guys suggest for durablity, rust prevention, and looks. I know some of you guys have experience with this stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So far everything you've done is right. You should spray paint it though to get a even coat. Never used the hammered spray, so dont know if it will give an even coat, given that it has dimps in the hammered parts.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I've used the Rustoleum hammered paint. It mimicks the paint on my Sears tool box very well, but then I bought the same medium gray metallic with hammered finish.

As for the trailer hitch. I think those are powder coated, not painted when built. It's supposed to be more durable. I don't think they can get me to believe that though. Everything that has a powder coating on it that I buy, has gone to rust in a couple years. And I live in a semi dry climate, no road salt, nothing. Still, it rusts.

What do I advise you to do? Brush it on. It'll be a little thicker, but you can control it a little better than a spray. It'll last a little longer. The hitch has very little exposed to the casual observer, no? I don't think cosmetics of the paint texture will matter. Matte Black is pretty good for most hitch applications, imo of course. :calvin:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Honestly you should have taken it to a local powder coating place. Something as small as a trailer hitch shouldn't be more than $80.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt think that it would rust so fast. But if I would have know that it was going to be an issue I would have done that. I know what I could have done. Im trying to find out what I can do now. lol. I thought it was powdercoated too. I'm gonna use the rustoleum spray satin black paint. I primed it yesterday Im gonna paint it tomorrow after work. Ill take some after pictures. Thankfully its only surface rust and only minor. It should look better than new when Im done. I have used rustoleum on wrought iron railings and it last for 5-10 years with out showing any rust. Im gonna give it a try we will see what happens. I only need it too last 2-3 more years before I get the next 3rd generation Escape. When it comes out in 2012.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its painted and it looks great. I had to give it about three coats and it looks brand new. Should last another three years or more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts