Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been alot of conversation about replacement wheels and such lately and I'm trying to understand the relationship between wheel size, offset and tire size. I am entertaining replacing my stock 15" wheels (2005 XLS 4WD) for 17" or 18" Explorer wheels (2006 or so OEM), but I like the look of a "meaty" tire. i have read some things on the web, but I don't know that I have fully grasped what it takes to figure out if a particular wheel and tire are going to work properly on my vehicle. If you respond, please type slowly as I don't read very fast. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
You might've already seen these pictures, but I think they are the best for handling any questions or concerns about those types of questions:

Offset

Tire
Now this one can get tricky. Most people like to try to get the same wheel-tire combo circumference to keep the speedometer somewhat accurate. For that, I suggest this:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
GREAT PICS TANG! I was gonna write all that out. You got it. That says it all

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Thanks oskerb! I use those for reference all the time.

Note: the Escape tends to run a 40-44mm POSITIVE offset, which means the blades are closer to you than the other side of the wheel when you look at them. It appears as though Mustang wheels vary 35-40mm depending on the wheel and the Explorer also a 40-44mm offset. You should be in good hands.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
As for tires, I remember someone telling me do not go wider than 255 on our 1st gen Escapes. I run a 255/65 on the stock 16" rim (normally I have 235/70) and I don't have any rub or other issues, and I think they look better.

I think with 18s you would want a 255/55 tire.

·
Registered
574 Posts
In addition to all of these great comments and sites, I would suggest using tirerack.com's fitment guide. Punch in your car and go for a tire and rim combo and they will give you just about anything that can fit the thing. Double check with someone local who specializes in SUV mods before you buy or order if you are going really nuts (like going to 22" or something) but some basic upgrades (say from stock 16 or 17" to a nice 18" package) are pretty safe on Tirerack.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There are pros and cons to modifying any parameter of the wheels.Whether it is a size change, tread change or material change there are gains on one hand and loses on the other.
I feel extremely happy that quite a few people have responed so responsibly to this thread.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes, lotta good info.
If any trailering is in your future, vehicle stability can be important. It's good to have tires the correct width for your rims, in that over-width tires can flex too much in the sidewalls, and this can affect handling (just tell your tire guy if you are planning on trailering!)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
onthelam said:
Yes, lotta good info.
If any trailering is in your future, vehicle stability can be important. It's good to have tires the correct width for your rims, in that over-width tires can flex too much in the sidewalls, and this can affect handling (just tell your tire guy if you are planning on trailering!)
That or going with OEM specs... can't go wrong with what the factory does for default. I'm thinking about getting Mustang 17"s to put with the tires from 17"-wheel equipped Escapes. I'm at the dealership right now... and my tech advisor said that it'll be less frowned upon by the dealership for any future concerns.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am very confused on the subject of weather a wheel has a positive or negative offset. And the more and more I read the less answers I seem to find.

From what I understand If the wheel's center is closer to the car it is negative. And if it is closer to the street is is positive.

And from reading around the Escape and the Explorer both have a high offset and the same bolt pattern.

What i am not understanding is what does 16x7 or 16x8 mean? Does the ??x8 or ??x7 help to determine the offset?

Can a wheel have a positive offset and be 16x8?

or will 16x7 have the minimal positive offset of +1 or 0?

I have been looking for rims of this style and These are for an Explorer they are 16x8 but I am unsure if they would fit without rubbing. (From what I think I understand they wont fit because they will have a negative offset, but I really don't know)

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWh ... &rc=CSMINT

My Tribute is lifted about 1.5" if that makes a difference

If these don't work out i'll just plastidip the factory rims this summer. I just really like the look of the tires that stick out.

Sorry for posting in an old thread but there were a lot on here that asked similar things and it seemed unnecessary to create a new thread.

Thanks for everyone that has answered these questions so far But I feel like I can understand an infant talking better than this

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Pmike404 said:
What i am not understanding is what does 16x7 or 16x8 mean? Does the ??x8 or ??x7 help to determine the offset?
16x7 (or any number x any number) stands for rim diameter and rim width. So 16x7 means 16" rim, 7" across. That number has nothing to do with offset. You can have a 16x7 rim with a 45 mm offset, and a 16x7 with a 25 mm offset. You can change the diameter or width of your rim alot (14" rims, 20" rims) but you need to have a close offset or the rim or tires will rub.

Tang said:
Note: the Escape tends to run a 40-44mm POSITIVE offset, which means the blades are closer to you than the other side of the wheel when you look at them. It appears as though Mustang wheels vary 35-40mm depending on the wheel and the Explorer also a 40-44mm offset. You should be in good hands.
The rims you linked to are from Discount Tire, they say they fit a 2010 Explorer. Have you tried calling Discount to see if they fit your Tribute? Tire Rack is also a good source of information. I have a feeling 8" wide might be an issue but not sure. And you could go with a 255/65/16 tire, that's what I run with no rubbing (20 mm wider than stock).

Hope this helps a little. Good luck :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts