Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the escape looks better without a front license plate frame and since I bought my car in a state the required the front license plate frame and now live in a state that does not require the front license frame I would like to take it off but would like to know if there is a way to fill in the holes that the screws leave. I have a 2008 with the chrome package and not sure if there is a way to fill the holes so its not noticeable. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Chrome will be tough. I use black plastic panel fasteners (you can buy from local hardware store). I paint them to match, but chrome will be tough. I know they make chrome spray paint, but I have not seen it used recently. Buy several, because they sometimes break in the bitter, cold winter. I had a 2 break.

Here's a pic from my old Fusion (the bumper is dirty, but you get an idea):

You can kind of see the ones on my Mariner here. The brushed aluminum was also harder to match. I simply used silver model paint (they need another coat now after 1 year).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think "Testers" has model airplane paints you can get in chrome. Any large hobby store should have a huge selection.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Maybe a pair of those plastic nuts with some "aircraft aluminum high speed tape" stuck on the heads. It's not chrome, but it is pretty shiny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same situation and found some plastic chrome screw head covers at the local auto parts store. The kit was all of $1.99 and by where they have the licence plate frames, etc. It had 4 black plastic screws and plastic caps (in chrome) that snap onto the screw head. I just tapered the screws to fit the hole from the old bracket, screwed them in flush and just popped on the caps. It's on a Sangria red '09 XLT, and may paint them eventually to match, but it sure beats the 2 ugly holes in the bumper. May try to post a pics, but just registered and still a rookie here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the holder? do i have to take the whole front bumper assembly off or can I just take the grill off and reach back there (ive got skinny arms)

I just moved to a province where I don't need a front plate and I agree, trucks way sweeter without one.

If anyone knows how to take it off let me know, right now I'm stuck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts