Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the rear view mirror from a 2006 Escape XLT. I want to add tint to the top of my windshield and this would make it so much easier.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Heat gun, paint scrapper, little bit of goo gone, and time. If you dont have a heat gun try a blow dryer and leave the car facing the sun on a hot day. Start scraping. When your ready to put back on. Go to an auto shop and buy some special glue that is used for rear view mirror applications.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm thinking that roofgoof is just wanting the mirror to slide off the windshield mount pad. It's on with a springloaded knob that goes into a recess in the pad that is affixed to the windshield.

IIRC, you can slide a flat tool into the open end of the mirror arm bracket and it should cause that little knob to retreat and release the mirror at the bracket allowing it to slide off. Maybe a little online search to verify what I have just said is in order... :roll:

I found this on an Acura site...I know, I know. :yes: They have more parts, but the actual mirror parts are the same :shock: . :Now is the time to be extremely careful with the hammer and punch or screwdriver. What you're going to do is place the screwdriver or punch on the mounting base, on a solid piece and tap the base. The mirror should start to move over the slide foot toward the windshield (to the front of the car towards the engine). Don't drive the punch or screwdriver into the windshield! It doesn't take super human effort to tap it off. It will move and come off fairly easy. I would just go out and look at ours, but it off to work with my wife till late this evening. Do not tap on the part glued down to the windshield, but the slide part that has the elbow for the mirror arm. :bill:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There are a few different kinds, I'm not sure what the Escape's mirrors are. The most straightforward is a small set screw that secures it to the mounting pad, either towards the bottom or facing the driver. Another kind is spring-loaded, and you insert a flat screwdriver into the bottom to pop it free. A third kind is just hammered on and hammered off, and stays put because the mount is a wedge shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts