Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got bored and (as the subject states) took off the plastic cover on my Escape. All I got was excess noise from my 1/4-mi test drive. I'll probably put it back, but does anyone think I would be able to get extra performance by removing the cover? It was probably a silly/stoopid move, but sometimes I just gotta satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
i was wondering the same thing if u would get better performance? More air without the lid.

·
Registered
679 Posts
did u notice any performance?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after gunning it around town to hear the drone/growl (your choice) the car makes without the lid, I can report somewhat surprising mileage... 18.3mpg for about 80% matting it to the ground to get the growl and 20% highway. It looks like we have a cold day ahead tomorrow, so maybe I can squeeze more power out of it with colder air? Who knows. There's definitely a performance difference though... when you hit 4,000rpms, the engine just soars to redline, maybe even past it. My friend swore he saw the tach hit 7,000. (obviously not on a cold engine... :D ) I don't know of any place around here to actually test out the difference... does anyone know any drag strips in the Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I tried for the ride home and liked the growl, but did'nt notice much extra performance, even with a performance filter?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
andjayik said:
I tried for the ride home and liked the growl, but did'nt notice much extra performance, even with a performance filter?
You're probably right. The noise likely makes anything more psychological than actual.

oskerb: I'll get some photos tomorrow, granted that the snow isn't overwhelming (SNOW!)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just took the car for a spin through the parking lot (that and we have sleet and 30 +/- 5degree temperatures right now... sounds like thunder running through the ramp. Love it :D

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big update!

And the theme will be... Bad News Bears

Here are a few things I noticed:
1. The weather striping under the hood blocks any air from getting between the hood and the grille. What does this mean? Perhaps removing the air filter cover is worse since there is no extra air getting in at all. Maybe some from around the headlights and other gaps... but not under the hood.
2. Removing the filter cover merely adds noise, although I am somehow getting 1-2MPG improvements despite worsening driving habits (mostly acceleration).

Here are the pictures. Note, since I'm graduating in a week, all the images I have linked through my school account will be lost in about two. I'll have to start a hosting contract sometime soon.

My next trick will be removing the rubber tubing that leads to the air box. That will probably make more of a difference than anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish we could embed videos from YouTube here.

But anyway (and even though this thread is going to die soon), here's a first round sound byte of the car sans filter cover. I will be running out in a little bit to do a few more, maybe some with some tuner vehicles from Saint Paul?!

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Tang said:
I wish we could embed videos from YouTube here.
You can! :D When you create a post there is a button on the far right that says "YouTube". It is after the "font color" and "Align=" button.

Wake up, Tang! :lol:

I went ahead and edited your post and took care of this one for you. :beer:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh wow, it is there. fail on my part! :doh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you look at the grille there are a couple of sections that are blocked near the air intake. I took a Dremel tool and cut them out to allow more air into the snorkel. Not sure if it did anything or not. I was thinking about cutting a hole into the airbox silencer (black plastic rectangular piece that is mounted inline before the throttle body) to allow more air into the engine. I would have to rig up some type of filter for that also.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hocevbj said:
I was thinking about cutting a hole into the airbox silencer (black plastic rectangular piece that is mounted inline before the throttle body) to allow more air into the engine. I would have to rig up some type of filter for that also.
DO NOT DO THIS! It will allow unmetered air into the engine. That is a can of worms you may not want to get into. :fan:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
It has nothing to do with the Mass Air Flow sensor. TopElimin8tr's comment has to do with the particulates that are taken care of by the air filter not being filtered out of the engine.

The MAF sensor will adjust the fuel being allowed into the engine to ensure the air/fuel mixture is correct. That is the fallacy of "performance" filters. The extra air they let in will increase your mileage initially but it will decrease as the A/F mixture is adjusted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hocevbj said:
Just wondering - Would the MAF sensor take care of the extra air flow coming into the engine ?
No it would not because it would allow air in after the MAF.

cbramsey said:
It has nothing to do with the Mass Air Flow sensor. TopElimin8tr's comment has to do with the particulates that are taken care of by the air filter not being filtered out of the engine.

The MAF sensor will adjust the fuel being allowed into the engine to ensure the air/fuel mixture is correct. That is the fallacy of "performance" filters. The extra air they let in will increase your mileage initially but it will decrease as the A/F mixture is adjusted.
I was referring to the MAF because he was talking about opening a hole in the zip tube between the MAF an the throttle body which would allow unmetered air in the engine. This would most likely cause the engine to go into a "limp home" mode.

As far as particulate is concerned you would be amazed how much junk an engine can tolerate.

A/F mixture i believe is monitored about 10 times a second and adjusts accordingly. That is why i'm still a firm believer that MOST aftermarket air filter stuff is strictly a gimmick. :fire:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Agreed - my dad spent 40 years on the fixed operation side of the dealership world - Parts and Service, from Chrysler, Rambler/AMC, Ford, and a couple of Japanese brands up until his retirement, and referred to most of the "performance" items - from fuel and oil additives, to high flow air filters, to that loud fart-can exhaust favoured by Honda Civic owners under 21 - as "P.T. Barnum Specials".

The best thing you can do in order to improve HP and MPG is keep your engine tuned with parts that meet original spec - dealer or aftermarket - and keep the fluids fresh and clean. No miracle cure for 20 more MPG or 50 more HP. If you want 50 more HP, buy a new car with more HP, and if you want more MPGs, get a more economical car. It's the only way you're getting it.

But I will admit, my car always feels faster after I give it a wash and wax..all that grime really hurts aerodynamics... :beer:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts