Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering where the brake pads are at for life, so I jacked up the front passenger side and removed 5 lugs. I can't seem to get the wheel off!! I've tried using leverage, and even a rubber mallet on the wheel to break it loose, but it doesn't seem to budge. I have also lowered it partially back down on the wheel but it's holding firm. I had rotated the tires around 6k mi ago, so I just can't figure out what else to try. Ideas?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Spin the lug nuts back on by hand until seated, then back them off 1-2 turns. If the vehicle is still in the air lower it back to the ground. Which ever direction is safe to move go forward/reverse @ 10 feet and slam on the brakes. You may also try turning the steering wheel back and forth while in motion. Most often this works i have had an occasion where we had to get a rubber sledge and pound a wheel off when this didn't work. Hope this helps!

Yes i did say to drive the car with loose lug nuts. However, only drive a very short distance. Do not loosen the lugs and drive to the grocery store. I'm not trying to imply anything just covering my butt!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so I put em on loose, and went to the grocery store and the wheel came off!! :hyst: :hyst:

JK, I did that both in reverse, and forward, then jacked it up, and it was still stuck. One more kick and it came loose. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Had a friend years ago say that he had to loosen the nuts and drive down the street bouncing off the curb to break them loose!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone recommend a real light coat of grease on the face of the wheel before it gets put on to the inner part of the rotor?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess you have aluminum rimms ??
Over time, the aluminum oxidizes and "fuses" to the hub. My prior vehicle BMW X 5 (pc of ****) had that problem. Use anti sieze on the back side of the rim....dont put it on too thick or you may not get is seated against the hub correctly (off centre). :thumb:
I have started putting it on my other cars rims too.
Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts
had the same problem, used carboard to protect the rim and lightly hit the edges of the rim with mr. sledge. came off without a fight

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well after struggling for 2 hours, I thought I would check in here and read this post.
Worked like a charm :) I should buy you a drink.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts