Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roof rack paint was chipping so I decided I would fix it.
These are what they looked like after rough sanding then fine sanding:

And these are the materials I used ( Norton all surface 60 grit sand paper and 220 grit, black rust-oleum truck bed liner and a palm sander)

Im debating about painting my racks with textured bed liner, I heard it wouldn't chip but I think it will look dumb, any opinions?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Im very happy you posted those pictures. Im gonna paint some accent peices on my escape with a silver paint. I think ill paint my cross bars metalic silver now that I see yours stripped down. I think you should paint them silver!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I wanted them black because I just bought black rims off craigslist, and I wanted it to match them, but I brought my escape to tire kingdom yesterday and they told me the rims don't even fit on my car. :wall: Should I use normal spray paint or bed liner tho?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I used bedliner on mine, but I didn't do as good a job sanding so it eventually peeled off as well. Should work great though with all the prep work you've done. Now I have black industrial floor mats wrapped around them since I pack kayaks a lot.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The guys on the boat that paint usually leave the sheet metal that we install and plastics a little rough after sanding They say it helps the paint mend better since it's in salt water and salt air 24/7.
Not sure if this would make a difference where your at.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished the roof racks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I would use rustoleum paint because Ive had good luck with it. The only thing about rustoleum is that it takes weeks for it to truly harden up. The bed liner will be more durable and I would use one that you paint on with a brush or roller. Paint always seems to hold better when its brushed on. I would sand it with 220grit then paint or bed line.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
rehctelf Its funny that most of the pictures of our escapes are on 45* angles. They always look better that way. :shades:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts