Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I'm dealing with aftermath of the "Escape Assault", and I'm looking at options for repairing the damage. There are a couple gouges in the actual dash, near the center bezel, and there's also a bunch of scratches on the dash part beneath the bezel. Is there a product I can use to repair this, or am I only looking at replacing the whole thing (which looks like a HUGE job)?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I think the question really is; Do I want to look at a dash that constantly reminds me of my truck being assaulted? Or not. I don't know of any repair action you can perform to erase the damage completely.

I'm a bit anal about these details, so I would replace the dash. What do you want to do about it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would rather fix it, if it will look decent. The insurance company isn't going to pay for it to be replaced, and from what I can see, the part alone is around $1000, and at least a couple hours labor.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If you can find one from a wrecked Escape, it will probably be in pretty good condition.

I'll be glad to post all of the shop manual diagrams, and from the looks of it, it only looks more complicated than it really is.

Again, I'm really sorry this happened.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would definitely replace with a salvage dash like JP said. There's no way to make that surface look acceptable after it's been damaged.

What a bummer... :(

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
At work we use a trim company to fix minor gouges on the dash, and seat trims etc, their repairs are pretty good, and a lot cheaper than replacement items.
Think of the repair as like if you got your windscreen repaired after a stonechip, its noticeable if you know where to look, but does'nt scream out at you as much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jpark said:
If you can find one from a wrecked Escape, it will probably be in pretty good condition.

I'll be glad to post all of the shop manual diagrams, and from the looks of it, it only looks more complicated than it really is.

Again, I'm really sorry this happened.
JPark-- Do you know of any good salvage yards in the area? All of the ones I've talked to said that they don't have anything this new (which seemed odd). I'd be fine to head down the thruway to get a deal on replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'll see if I can find something tomorrow. I think all of the salvage yards I used to go to as a kid are either closed, or operated like "you stay there, and my assistant will go out back and try to find the part."

:cuss:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Nothing yet, jimmyv. One of the places I called isn't even open anymore.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
why wont your insurance company replace it? thats why you pay insurance. i guarantee that after paying insurance for the last 11 or so years, if one of my vehicles get damaged. it will be repaired good as new. ive never had a claim and want to keep it that way but shit happens eh. i hate insurance. its like paying all your life "in case" someone else screws up.

i think i turned that into a rant... sorry.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
CrashNburn said:
why wont your insurance company replace it?
I was wondering the same thing.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
CrashNburn said:
why wont your insurance company replace it? thats why you pay insurance. i guarantee that after paying insurance for the last 11 or so years, if one of my vehicles get damaged. it will be repaired good as new. ive never had a claim and want to keep it that way but *s**** happens eh. i hate insurance. its like paying all your life "in case" someone else screws up.

i think i turned that into a rant... sorry.
Not at all.

I'd like to ask every insurance company why they feel their CEO should make upwards of $50 Million per year, while, at the same time, they're allowing cars to be repaired with substandard, improper (or, worse, USED) parts by uneducated employees.

Isn't the purpose of progress to get better, not worse?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jpark said:
Nothing yet, jimmyv. One of the places I called isn't even open anymore.
Dang! I know, I don't know why it has gotten so hard to find parts. I should ask the body shop that I use where they get their "recycled" parts from.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
When I first got my Escape, I wanted another door electrical connector so that I could take the pins from it and add them to blank pin locations in the factory connectors (for door lights).

None of the yards I called had any E/M/Ts. That was back in 2005, and it doesn't look like it's changed much. They're everywhere around here (five on my street alone, including a Tribby, a Mariner, and one '08 Escape), but they just don't seem to make it to the wrecking yards.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dasha said:
CrashNburn said:
They may pay for it if I have the body shop negotiate with them. I was just looking at the initial assessement and they listed $150 for "repair" of the dash.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The basic instrument panel is the same part for all 2001-2007 Escapes and 2005-2007 Mariners. The cheapest one seems to be the Pebble color at around $800. Flint is around $850, and Ebony is $1,050. Graphite and Parchment colors don't show a price, for some reason.

I hope your shop can put a new panel in for you.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
jimmyv said:
Dasha said:
CrashNburn said:
They may pay for it if I have the body shop negotiate with them. I was just looking at the initial assessement and they listed $150 for "repair" of the dash.
If the repair is 100%. Then great. if they repair it and it isn't as good as new, surely it's their obligation to replace the dash. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I hope so.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
JP didn't you post some stuff that I could use to repair my dash after I scratched the crap out of it with those dreaded metal clips from the center dash?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts