Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2001 Tribute ES V6 I'm considering substituting a set of four 225/60R16s for the stock 235/70R16s next tire replacement. This is only due to the greater selection of tires in 225/60R16 at lower prices, as it is a much more commonly-used size. Using an online tire size comparison calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html it appears that the new tires would be slightly smaller than the old ones in every dimension, so there's no chance of rubbing anywhere. The Tribute would sit about 1.2 inches lower to the ground than it does today.

Any reason why I shouldn't try this?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
as long as it fits on the rim correctly you shouldn't encounter any rubbing as far as I can tell. What are you worried may rub?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I went the other way, to 255/65/16 and I have no rubbing issues. I believe that older 4 cylinder models have 215 or 225, you will have no problems with 225/60 (I'm sure the mileage/ speedo readings will be a negligable difference)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Ajax said:
I went the other way, to 255/65/16 and I have no rubbing issues. I believe that older 4 cylinder models have 215 or 225, you will have no problems with 225/60 (I'm sure the mileage/ speedo readings will be a negligable difference)
I'm running on 255/75 R15, speedo is about 5mph fast. On R15 I bet they are the same as your R16 65% sidewall height. No rubbing at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Not really worried about rubbing, since the tire calculator demonstrated no problems there.

Using simple laws of physics it would appear that a smaller diameter tire that still has a significant footprint would give me better stability on the road, or at least as good as the stock size. I also know that since the smaller tire would require more revolutions per mile, it would technically wear faster than the stock tire. However, considering the better, more competitive selection in 225/60R16, on a cost per mile basis there would be savings....or, for the same amount of money spent I could buy a better set of tires than in the stock size. Just thinking about it at this point.

Anyone else know of something I'm missing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts