Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my front bumper with a new one from ford becuase I slid into my wifes car last week. I pulled it off and replaced the bumper and ford bumper guard accessory. But I cant get the bumper to line up with the fender the plastic rivet holes wont line up. they are off about a 1/4 inch on both sides. Does anyone have any suggestions.. the only way i can get them to line up is to have my wife use her butt to push on the bumper, but once the rivet is in place it pulls right out. Help me please.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Did you get the correct year and trim?

Did you push the front end in along with the bumper skin?

Certainly the plastic is not going to stop anything when hit so the bumper bar or front support may have shifted in the impact. These are adjustable to a slight degree, it all depends on which way the offset is I guess.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nahh I just slightyly bumped the car very slow under 5mph. just scuffed the bumper a little thats why I replaced it.. I have the same front bumper as you

I think im going to get some nylon bolts and use those instead of push rivets. because the push rivets dont hold that well.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I have nylon bolts there as well. I would be careful if there is a lot of force involved - the fender may deform over time.

When I replaced my bumper, the part that did not fit properly was the part where it attaches to the bumper impact beam. There are two mounts above the four bottom cutouts for the transmission cooler - if those aren't fastened in place, I found my bumper would be pushed outwards.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Also, the sides of the front bumper cover have slots that slide over a locator post mounted on each fender.

If you don't align that slot and the locator, the side of the bumper cover will ride over the locator, pushing the bumper cover outward and sideways.

And I wouldn't recommend using nylon screws. The factory scrivets are designed to shear if the bumper cover is bumped, so that the fender isn't damaged. If you bolt the bumper cover to the fender, you could cause a lot more damage, and not just to the fender.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jpark good idea to use the original plastic rivits. I know that the slides on the either side of the bumpercover have to slide onto the plastic knobs. I actually went to Ford today and they ordered me 12 plastic push rivets($2.00ea) and I ordered one of those plastic knobs($2.50ea). the only other thing that could be stoping the bumper from sliding in all the way could be the Impact beam or the 05+headlights. They are slightly larger in the back which I know the cover hits. I wonder if the impact beam is adjustable? Maybe it could be moved back slightly.. should i try to attach the fenders to the cover first then attach all the other screws?

I never had this problem before and I have taken my front bumper off many times. I have had to get help with someone pushing on the front but never this much. Maybe its because its sooo cold outside that it wont flex. Maybe the bumper is defective. I even drilled small holes in the impact bar for the mounting screws from the plastic grill guard to slide into.. Im going to take a look at it again. Ive taken this front bumper off so many times I can do it in 7mins. I timed myself last night.
Any more suggestions will be appreciated?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks shes pretty sexy. lol.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No she was more worried about my car. I just repainted her back bumper last fall because someone rubbed up against it. When I hit her rear bumper it just left some plastic from my bumper. And it came right off with Meguires paint cleaner. No scratches at all. Mine on the other hand was a little scuffed. and the fog light bracket was broken. because the bumper flexed and the bracket didnt. I put a new bumper on. and repaired the fog lamp bracket with PC11 Epoxy paste. and its like brand new. Just having a problem lineing up the holes on the fenders and bumper cover. They are off 1/8 of a inch. i can put the old one on with no problem. but the new one doesnt fit as well. Im going to wait till it gets warmer this weekend 50* and try it then im thinking that the plastic cover is just too stiff with the 10*-20* Temps.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Is the replacement bumper cover a Ford factory part, or an aftermarket copy made by another manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to line up the holes and make it fit!!!!! The Escape looks great I just got done waxing and detailing it.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts