Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Sylvania Silverstar or Phillips Xtreme headlight bulbs? I've read these types of bulbs do provide a brighter and wider light, but at the expense of significantly reduced bulb lifespan.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I use silver star's in the fog lamp's on the Buick and replaced one in the last couple of months and it's already gone. The other one is still going strong though. I like the look alot.

·
Premium Member
7,658 Posts
I had Silverstars in my girlfriend's Chevy Malibu, but the fact that they were always on (DRL) resulted in one burning out in about 1-1/2 years. I installed a set in my Escape and they're doing okay, so far... [knock on wood]

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
According to Sylvania's spec sheets, the Silverstars and Silverstar Ultras produce the same mean spherical candela as their standard halogens. The Silverstars do seem to produce very good colour rendition, and perhaps the filament is placed within tighter specifications (just a guess on my part).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might give the Silverstars a try eventually. Amazon has them for pretty good prices which are much lower than the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I finally found a set of H13's in Pep Boys. Silverstars. I check every time I'm in there and nothing, picked them up this weekend and love em. FYI though, make sure when changing you lamps that you make sure the stock gasket comes out. At first mine didn't and I didn't notice. Wondering why I was having suxh a hard time re-installing new lamps, took a double take and noticed the red rings stuck the the socket opening. Much better color.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My wife burns out a set about every 3 to 4 months in her '01. I'm done, it's getting too expensive. Tried both standard & ultra & the lifespan is pathetic. Granted she puts about an hour a night on them, still they should last longer than they do. The lifespan is absolutely horrible if you do much night driving & don't even get me started on the fog bulbs, it's worse. Had those in several different vehicles before I learned my lesson. Silverstars are great if you don't use them much & suck if you do. I think it's that coating they put on the lens that helps to trap alot of the heat in burn it out prematurely. I've been reading & the Euro spec Silverstars from Sylvania's parent company, "Osram" last considerably longer. I've had a set in my '04 for about a month & they're doing great so far! Although you don't get the bright white/ blueish hue with these as they are not coated but they are brighter, there's no tinted coating on them to cut down on the light transmission as there is the U.S. spec. Silverstars. But if these turn out to be as bad as the U.S. 'stars I'll give up on them all together.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JoeyK said:
My wife burns out a set about every 3 to 4 months in her '01. I'm done, it's getting too expensive. Tried both standard & ultra & the lifespan is pathetic. Granted she puts about an hour a night on them, still they should last longer than they do. The lifespan is absolutely horrible if you do much night driving & don't even get me started on the fog bulbs, it's worse. Had those in several different vehicles before I learned my lesson. Silverstars are great if you don't use them much & suck if you do. I think it's that coating they put on the lens that helps to trap alot of the heat in burn it out prematurely. I've been reading & the Euro spec Silverstars from Sylvania's parent company, "Osram" last considerably longer. I've had a set in my '04 for about a month & they're doing great so far! Although you don't get the bright white/ blueish hue with these as they are not coated but they are brighter, there's no tinted coating on them to cut down on the light transmission as there is the U.S. spec. Silverstars. But if these turn out to be as bad as the U.S. 'stars I'll give up on them all together.
Your experience with Silverstar's is exactly what I've been reading elsewhere on the web. I think if they would last about 1 year I could deal with that. But no way would I replace them every 3-4 months. Good luck with your Euro spec bulbs.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The philips X-treme are new and suppose to be similar to the GE/tohiba HIR bulbs. On my Vibe forum they come highly recommended. I am planning on picking some up myself for my SS and the escape.

·
Registered
51 Posts
escape05xls said:
The philips X-treme are new and suppose to be similar to the GE/tohiba HIR bulbs. On my Vibe forum they come highly recommended. I am planning on picking some up myself for my SS and the escape.
That's my next choice if the euro 'stars die prematurely. So far I'm lovin the Osram Silverstars!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
DaveJ said:
JoeyK said:
Your experience with Silverstar's is exactly what I've been reading elsewhere on the web. I think if they would last about 1 year I could deal with that. But no way would I replace them every 3-4 months. Good luck with your Euro spec bulbs.
I still think that people are getting something on the bulbs. Quartz-halogen bulbs are not made of glass -- they're made of quartz, and they require an absolutely clean bulb to work properly. Any kind of dirt or oil, even a fingerprint, is enough to make the quartz fracture, causing early bulb failure. Clean each bulb with pure isopropyl alcohol, dry it with a clean paper towel, and don't allow the bulb to touch anything when installing it -- not even the inside of the bulb housing.

Heat is not the problem, since the inside bulb temperatures are far higher than any temperature rise that a coating adds (not to mention the silvered cap on many headlamp bulbs like the H11). The whole purpose of the halogen gas is to allow the filament to operate safely at higher temperatures for brighter and whiter light.

I've never had a SilverStar burn out, but that's just me.

:shrug:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought that before too. I've tried everything. Even thought they may be getting something on them from the factory so I tried wipeing them w/ isopropyl alcohol. Still, same effect. Been a member of 3 different forums because of the cars I've owned Grand Am, 300M Camaro & on al those forums the same common problem; premature failure. But then Sylvania even admits they have a very short lifespan compared to a standard bulb but I would expect them to last more then 3 months. But also again that's why I say they're great if you don't use them much & suck if you do. Perhaps you do not drive at night much? The wife has hers on an average of 10 hrs a week so we're pretty much seeing 130 - 150 hrs lifespan.
As long as the Osrams last me a while I'll keep using them though. They are much brighter than a standard, granted no coating to make them "white" but then again, I think the whole blue/white purple fad in lighting is kinda dorky in the 1st place.
But then I'm the kind of guy that would take a higher powered incandescent over an hid any day as I like a softer light instead of a harsh white.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
silverstars on all my forums last maybe 3 months. Not worth trying.

These philips x-treme have huge potential. I need to go find a set...I'm just lazy ;) napa is suppose to sell them along with many other retailers.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Again, if you're just going by what other people say, especially on the internet, well...

Who knows how other people install them? I've seen people do things that make me wonder how they made it past the sixth grade, including actually breaking the bulb trying to force it into the socket.

I'll say it once more: don't let anything touch the bulb surface on its way into the lamp housing. If mine last as long as they do, maybe I'm doing something wrong...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I sent an email off to PowerBulbs asking about a warranty and the forum reported short life of these bulbs. Here's there response:

The Night Breaker bulbs if fitted correctly, with average usage would be expected to last at least 18 - 24 months. Although they do not have a guarantee, any faults before that time are dealt with by OSRAM Customer service department.

I also asked if there were any further import duties or taxes when bringing them into the USA. They didn't know. Anyone here bring bulbs in and if so were there any further charges? Need to know asap as I'd like to get a set in before Christmas.

Thanx, Kirk

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
jpark said:
Again, if you're just going by what other people say, especially on the internet, well...

Who knows how other people install them? I've seen people do things that make me wonder how they made it past the sixth grade, including actually breaking the bulb trying to force it into the socket.

I'll say it once more: don't let anything touch the bulb surface on its way into the lamp housing. If mine last as long as they do, maybe I'm doing something wrong...

yeah but when friends and people on 8 forums say the same thing..and everyone knows the stereotype of silverstars...its hard to not give them a biased.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
escape05xls said:
jpark said:

yeah but when friends and people on 8 forums say the same thing..and everyone knows the stereotype of silverstars...its hard to not give them a biased.
:doh:

In one ear, out... nevermind.

I give up. Can I have my ten seconds back?

BurghBeagle said:
I have had Silverstars in my Cavalier since August 2006 and they are awesome. Car has DRLs and both bulbs have lasted over 3 years, can't complain. Plus they look nice and they light the road much better than the stock bulbs did.
I agree.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
haha..well the funny part is they seem to work 1. for some 2. for certain vehicles more than others. Maybe its a per vehicle or plug type basis? no idea. All I know is I personally wont waste my money on them. I'm gonna try the philips ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.