Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into remote start options for my escape and only really found two that suit my needs. Are there any options when it comes to keys? I mean ones with out the keyless entry buttons on it.

Option 1: Keep factory keyfob and had this installed.
http://viper.com/P-4203V/Viper-Responde ... art-System

Pros- Factory key fob intact, RS is still 2-way
Cons- Another thing dangling on my key chain, no 2-way for keyless entry

Option 2: If I can get a key blank that has no fob then I can install this one to take over the duties.
http://viper.com/P-4202V/Viper-5301-Res ... art-System

Pros- 2-way for all purposes, huge range

Cons- A larger fob

I rather go with option 2, but i'm not sure if there are any other keys i can use. Anyone know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to buy keys on E-Bay that didn't have any buttons on them. Got them cut locally at a hardware store and you can program them yourself using the instructions in the Escape Owners Manual. They were under $20 each.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I think my girlfriend's mother got system #2 for Christmas, and I think she is using the OEM fob as a backup (that or she gave it to her husband). You list valid pros and cons for each... I guess it's really up to what you want, but there's some added security with the bi-directional system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I bought my unit today. Decided from the beginning that i was not going to do an alarm again. In my previous cars I had the remote start and alarm, but never had the alarm go off. We bought my dad a viper 5301 for xmas and he went to have in installed today. His old unit was malfunctioning, so we just bought a new one. Well the installer at bestbuy fixed his old unit in 20 min and my dad could care less about the 2-way. I told him I would buy the 5301 from him. I was a little apprehensive to have bestbuy install it, but this installer seems legit. I have my appointment set for the 28th and i'll report back once it is done.

·
Registered
390 Posts
grantnet10 said:
I was able to buy keys on E-Bay that didn't have any buttons on them. Got them cut locally at a hardware store and you can program them yourself using the instructions in the Escape Owners Manual. They were under $20 each.
Don't you need two working keys to program a new one? If not I got robbed for 100+ from the dealer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I had the unit installed today and just like my previous directed units, this thing is pretty much flawless. I decided to go ahead and have bestbuy install it. They did a great job, but I made sure I was prepared. For our 08 and above escapes if you having a viper remote start installed (or any directed model at that) purchase your starter bypass before going to the store. Bestbuy want $90 for model PKALL while I picked mine up from amazon for $37. The older bypasses used to hold a key to get around the immobilizer, but these new units can be programmed to transmit the same as a key would.

Here is my list of pros and cons for the unit:

Pros: remote start is quick and has starter kill(no cracking while remote started)
2-way notifications for lock/unlock
Installer programmed the aux-output to my glass release

Cons: no need for the huge transponder key
Viper's 'Honk Honk' feature is f'ing annoying

I have to go have my two smaller keys cut tomorrow and then i'll be all set.

Heres a comparison shot of the old key vs new smaller key.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Let us know how you made out with the keys. I bought one on Ebay when I did my Viper alarm and could not get it to program. Did you program yourself? I attribute my issue to the act that the key cost like $10 from China. Need two of these for the same purpose, no need to carry around the stock FOB.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I bought two keys from ebay and they both programmed like a charm, but the next day one of them stopped working and now will not program again. They are not the best quality keys, but at least one is working. I was worried that one of the keys might stop working so I tried to remote start the car then throw the key in and that worked perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found a locksmith on Craigslist that programmed two keys and a door only key for $50 after I lost one set of OEM. Dealer wanted $120 for one. I got the keyless remotes from Ebay for $13 and programmed myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts