Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2010 Escape with the premium sound system.

1. The specs say 7 speakers, does anyone know where they're located? Without tearing into things, I see a speaker grill on each front door, and a speaker grill on each passenger door, and the one grill on the back right, which I assume is the subwoofer. That's 5 speakers...is one of the pairs a set of 2-way speakers, and thereby considered 2 speakers?

2. The stereo is 320 watts, and sounds "ok", but not at all what I expected so I'd like to replace the stock speakers to see if it makes any difference. Does anyone have any recommendations for some decent replacement speakers, to where I won't have to make any modifications to the vehicle itself? I'd like to put in an amp and bigger sub like some of the people here but I use my Escape to haul an inflatable boat, trolling motor etc so for now, I don't want to do anything to the rear area. Hopefully some decent speakers will make a difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
758 Posts
It is likely you have tweeters in the front door speakers. This makes the count seven. What is the amp rating of your stock headunit? Improved power (aftermarket amplifier) can make a difference. This is what I did in my 2005 vehicle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
on my 05 there r tweeters on the door near the a-pillar area plus the 4 doors n sub, havent seen the inside of a 10 though.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Check out my threads for deep intel on this truck's system and how to improve it immensely.
Your '10 and my '08 are probably very close to the same.
Most stock HU's produce no more than 12-14W of semi-clean power per channel.

Top priority - Deadening / sealing the door

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies; I forgot to mention before - I work and live in South Korea and car audio shops are few and far between, and on top of that, the last time I even vaguely attempted anything fancy with custom car stereo do-it-yourself was, well, many years ago. Back when putting a pair of Jensen 6X9s in the rear deck was considered cool :) So, if possible, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible - if possible. That's why I asked the question about replacing the stock speakers (which usually are the cheapest out there) with better quality ones and if that would make a difference.
I plan on heading back to the states in a year or two so I can go fishing, BBQ and drink beer (not necessarily in that order) and if this Escape holds out with no major problems, I plan on having the entire stereo system upgraded by a professional.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
nomad60 said:
Thanks for the replies; I forgot to mention before - I work and live in South Korea and car audio shops are few and far between, and on top of that, the last time I even vaguely attempted anything fancy with custom car stereo do-it-yourself was, well, many years ago. Back when putting a pair of Jensen 6X9s in the rear deck was considered cool :) So, if possible, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible - if possible. That's why I asked the question about replacing the stock speakers (which usually are the cheapest out there) with better quality ones and if that would make a difference.
I plan on heading back to the states in a year or two so I can go fishing, BBQ and drink beer (not necessarily in that order) and if this Escape holds out with no major problems, I plan on having the entire stereo system upgraded by a professional.
Uh, aren't like most brands made in your back yard? I can think of 10 brands off the top of my head that build their amps in Korea. What are some brands available to you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They may very well be made here but like I said, car audio shops are far and few between. I know of only one within 50 miles of here and it's a very small place. People over here aren't big, if at all, into upgrading/modifying their car stereo systems; if anything, they're into their Navigation units. Everyone has one of those installed and people, including cab drivers, watch TV on them while driving. You'd be surprised at how much stuff is produced here,but not locally available. For example, a lot of the fihsing reels and rods that people buy in the states are made here, but if I want to buy a certain brand which is made here, I have to order it from Bass Pro over the internet.
And I really don't want anyone who's not familiar with the wiring in my car to go in there and start ripping stuff apart, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
420 Posts
well... im not a car steroe guru by any means, but i have installed decks, speakers, n amps in the past and i hav found that if u stick with pioneer,kenwood,sony, n alpine, u should b ok... like fourthmetal said, stock decks are low power... the 320 watts is prolly the amp for the sub and deck power combined. u could try a new deck and see what it sounds like, then maybe upgrade the door speakers and install a small 4ch amp for them... i think the mach 320 system in my 05 is pretty good and i dont see myself changing anything but the head unit, that is only because i wana play mp3 and hav nav...if u do change anything make sure to keep us informed and post pics if possible... :peace:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
nomad60 said:
They may very well be made here but like I said, car audio shops are far and few between. I know of only one within 50 miles of here and it's a very small place. People over here aren't big, if at all, into upgrading/modifying their car stereo systems; if anything, they're into their Navigation units. Everyone has one of those installed and people, including cab drivers, watch TV on them while driving. You'd be surprised at how much stuff is produced here,but not locally available. For example, a lot of the fihsing reels and rods that people buy in the states are made here, but if I want to buy a certain brand which is made here, I have to order it from Bass Pro over the internet.
And I really don't want anyone who's not familiar with the wiring in my car to go in there and start ripping stuff apart, if that makes sense.
You can and should do everything yourself.

That, or befriend a local who has tools and do it that way. The wiring, deadening, all that... that's stuff you can do on your own. Building an amp rack or a box is also pretty easy, but you may need some tools.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man, I apologize for starting this thread. I just finished reading sinistermob's "new speakers" thread and that answered all of my questions and much, much more. What a wealth of knowledge and information in just one thread. Not sure how I missed it the first time around. Given the materials needed (soundproofing stuff etc), and the fact that I don't have a garage over here (I live in an apartment complex), I think it's best that I live with what I have for now, and upgrade properly one I get back to the states instead of opting for the cheaper fast route now, which I know I'll regret later.

Thanks for all the info, and I'll definitely keep checking in here to see what others are doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts