Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of noise coming from the front drive axle on my 2003 XLT, and i've narrowed it down to the outer bearing on the 'intermediate shaft'. Working with the local dealerships, I haven't been able to get this part; they keep pointing me to the entire shaft (none in stock, of course).

I found this picture on the forum, this shows it. Its the bearing inside the outer boot that mounts to the frame (the thing that the arrow is pointing to).
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w236 ... axle31.jpg

SO my question is, is it possible to just buy this bearing? If not, does anyone know for sure if I buy the replacement shaft if it comes with the outer boot and mount?

(Found the part here, cheapest I can find:)
http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlocato ... atalogid=0

Thanks!
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
for all the effort to get the shaft out, i would suggest replacing it as well. you might find that very soon down the road you will have to replace the shaft, then all your work now was in vain.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zippyworld said:
Advance Auto sells the entire shaft for 70 bucks if you feel like checking that out.
Do you have a part number? I can't find it on their website and after calling them they said that its a 'dealer-only' part.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I have your vehicle input correctly this is what comes up.

left front Part No. NCV11576
right front Part No. NCV11577

These are the entire shaft,inner and outer cv joints and boots. Just pop it in and you're done.

Isn't the intermediate shaft just the shaft between the cv joints? Maybe I'm just having a brain fart on the whole deal and not understanding what you are looking for.

I used 2003 4 cyl escape to do the search as that was the first model listed in your link but they have them for all models.

Do a search for Axle Shaft Assembly on their site and scroll down under cv/axle parts, click drive shaft/axle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts