Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is related to my other post about the 06 charging issue, but if you have a way to graph OBD signals, I would like to see what yours looks like. I just need a graph of the PCM module GenCmd and GenMon signals from startup for a min or so. I want to see if GenCmd signal is activated every 5 sec, or is it longer on these vehicles.

Reference 06 Charging System issue for why I am asking.

Thank you

· Registered
425 Posts
Hello, I was the poster (hueypilot) on Forscan concerning the charging problem and offering diagnostics tips. I own a 05 FEH. What data were you looking for? I own a repair shop and have learned my lesson long ago using re-builders. Buy used modules on ebay and you will have an excellent return policy for refund.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering about the GenCmd signal. I had read I was supposed to be seeing a pulse every 5 seconds, but it was min 15 sec and sometimes longer. At that point, I was trying to see if the PCM was outputting the correct signal to the alternator. Turns out the PCM was fine, just like the one I sent in that I was told was completely defective... The rebuilt alternator was bad and had to be replaced again.

Had to do my other son's alternator in an F150 yesterday. 15 min to get out, 10 min to put back together... That Escape is just miserable to work on.

· Registered
425 Posts
OK, I read your original post in the link provided. I see you were using the graphing mode with Forscan to check the PIDs or data. Graphing is too slow with Forscan, or any scanner as a matter of fact. You have to use a scope to get a true picture of what the PCM is relaying to the alternator.

Graphing is snapshot of a signal. Then a pause as the scanner takes another snapshot. The scanner combines these snaphots to give a graph. An analog picture. A scope will give you a digital picture. A scope with take a billion samples per second.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.