Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some info on adding an aux input to the factory Ford stereo. I'm pretty sure this can be done with one of those PIE (sp?) adapters, but I haven't seen one in action. Has anyone hooked one of these up? Are they significantly better than an FM modulator?

My factory stereo is the 6CD changer (no MP3) and has the "SHUF" and "COMP" buttons. Will those adapters work for sure with this particular stereo?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If your CD6 doesn't have a "SAT" button on the front panel, your factory HU isn't equipped to switch inputs, at least not without taking it apart and tapping into the CD preamp outputs.

Is that the same HU that was installed from the factory in your Escape?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't buy the vehicle new, but that was in it when I got it.

From snooping around on some "other" forums, I was under the impression that this HU was able to connect to a "DJ", so those PIE adapters should work.

If not, would I be able to grab another Ford HU on Ebay that this would work for?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I might be wrong about that, then, but the only way that the HU can switch an external input is with the "SAT" button. Maybe there's some kind of electronic switching done by the PIE harness, but I don't see how that could work based on the electrical inputs of the factory HU. Again, I could be wrong.

Have you tried taking a picture of the HU face and posting it, with the part number, in another forum? That might catch someone who did that with the same HU you have.

Do you have both the 24-pin connector and a separate 8-pin connector on your HU? Here are their pin functions and wire colors:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll pull the stereo out tonight and take some pictures. That's probably the best way to get the info I'm looking for.

I still might go with a simple Alpine or Pioneer HU that has a line input; I'm not sure what's the best option at this point. I am pretty sure I'm giving up on HD Radio though. If anyone wants me to write a post on that, I'd be happy to.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing. My HU does not have a sat button, but it has a aux button. Should work, right?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yup...I forgot to mention the "AUX" button. That should work.

See this thread for the connections on connector C240B (pins 3, 6, 7, and 8). Even though these are 2008 connections, those pins should be the same for the 2005-2007 models with 16-pin connectors. If you have the 16-pin connector, and those pins are blank, you need to buy another aftermarket connector (or the Ford pigtail connector), remove the pins from that connector, add them to your car's connector, and splice them to a 3.5mm stereo plug (or RCA cables, depending on what you want to connect).

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Just go buy you a double-din nav touch screen like mine :)

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Actually mine has both, a aux and sat button. I just ordered the unit that plugs into the unused sat plug in. Hopefully all will go well. 67.00 shipped

·
Registered
263 Posts
Before I upgraded my Head Unit, I went out and bought an FM Modulator that was a pretty easy install. All it does is override a preset FM frequnecy on your FM band. You plug this unit into the antenna jack on the head unit, then plugging your stock antenna into the unit. So you get some power running to the unit, plug in the attenna wires, install a small swtich so that you can turn it off and listen to regular radio and your good to go. The input is two RCA (Red/White) that can be placed in the storage pocket, glove box, whereever is best for you. Then you can just buy an RCA to 8th inch cable and you can plug it right into your Ipod or whatever. The nice thing about this setup is that it will work with ANY deck or head unit that has an FM radio. The unit itself was $80 at Circuit City, before they went out of business :(

I'll post some pics of mine when I get a chance, I left mine installed even though I upgraded my deck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
weebee said:
Actually mine has both, a aux and sat button. I just ordered the unit that plugs into the unused sat plug in. Hopefully all will go well. 67.00 shipped
what unit did you get and does it work? My 2007 6CD also has an aux and sat button but everything that I have read says you cannot add an iPod input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts