Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of hockey's most influential and successful figures, Pat Burns, passed away today after a courageous bout with cancer at Maison Aube-Lumiere in Sherbrooke, Que.

I knew of him mostly because he coached the New Jersey Devils to the 2003 Stanley Cup Championship and served as a member of the team's coaching staff the past eight seasons. He started out coaching with the Montreal Canadians. He also coached the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins, winning three Jack Adams Awards (for the coach judged to have contributed the most to his team's success) along the way.

Back when I was in a band, I got an invitation to a club that we used to play at and many of the Devils players used to frequent. I was told I had to come and to wear one of my Devils Jerseys. Turned out The Stanley Cup was bought there by the Coach. I got to meet him, shake his hand and thank him for all he had done for the team. He was gracious enough to take a picture with me and The Cup:

Pat Burns and Rob R. with The Stanley Cup

It was one of the most memorable days in my life. I got to see The Cup and entertain the crowd. (My band grabbed the instruments from the band playing that night for one song.) But most of all, I got to meet a hockey legend...

One thing that stuck out about that night is he seemed preoccupied and sad. After taking the photo & shaking his hand I didn't want to bother him anymore. I found out a short time later he had been diagnosed with cancer and he probably found out shortly before that night. Despite this, he was very gracious and polite to me and I never forgot that. He had been fighting cancer in one form or another since then. I've said prayers for him along the way.

Rest In Peace Pat Burns and thank-you for the memories!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
R.I.P. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Sounds like a great man.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
R.I.P. Pat Burns

I had read about this, it sounds like he was a great coach and a great person. It was very cool that you got to meet him and get a pic with him and the Stanley Cup.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
R.I.P Pat Burns.

I wouldn't wish cancer or the suffering on anyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts