Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so it seems that I've made a wee bit of a mess. :fire:

I decided that I would take care of some rust on a few parts of my Escape (namely, the bottoms of the all the doors and several areas of the tailgate). I bought some stuff called Rustoleum Wax and Tar Remover to clean the gunk and dust off the metal before applying primer/paint/whatever. However, I also used it to clean some plastic parts before adhering tape to them for masking off areas. The problem is that the areas that I wiped off have white streaks in them and look all dried out and crummy. This is on the exterior black plastics and on the bottoms of a couple of the door panels (which are gray). The MSDS for the Tar and Wax Remover says it contains Naphtha, which I'm now guessing isn't good for plastic (doesn't say that on container).

Anyone have any ideas for restoring the actual color of the plastics and getting rid of the white crud? I figure I'd try something like Back to Black for the exterior dark gray stuff, but what can I use for the lighter gray door panels?

I don't think I'll be trying another project like this anytime soon. My painting job didn't come out as well as I'd hoped (still need to wet sand and polish, though, so I really hope that helps a bit). :wall: At least the rust is gone.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Use Back to Black. It should be called back to dark. lol Its a thick protectant and plastic restorer. It works on all plastics, vinyls and rubber. I use a quarter bottle on my trim when ever I detail. I usually apply it twice and go over the whole thing a third time with a terrycloth to remove any excess so that pollen and dust doesnt stick to it. It is also the best for the door handles and roof rack plastics.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha. Can I use Back To Black on non-black surfaces, like the interior door panels (which are more or less corporate gray)? In other words, does the stuff actually contain black dye or something like that that would turn my door panels black (which would be bad)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Back to black will work good... there are a couple of other products out there that will fill the same requirement. Mine (i can't remember what kind) does good on all colors of plastic because it looks like a cream colored gel. no black in there. So no problem for any kind of gray. (they will just look "wet")

Sometimes, friction alcohol does the trick to clean unwanted substance on porous (?) surfaces (surfaces like rugged moldings)

At least you can clean before you go back to black. It could last longer. (sometimes the white streaks can be still present after back to black)

It is just my own method... good or not... it works for me! :yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts