Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Escape 2WD XLT V6 automatic.

So, here's the scenario. I'm facing downhill on a mild slope (I don't know the exact grade, but it's not San Francisco type hills...just your average rolling neighborhood hills). Put the truck into reverse -- say, to parallel park. Let off the brake, and it rolls forward. I almost have to do a double-take to make sure it's not in neutral. In all other cars I've driven, their automatic transmission has been able to "hold" this same hill in reverse gear without rolling forward and without additional throttle.

Now I know it's not good practice to let the auto transmission hold a hill for any length of time, but it's just a little precarious having to use two feet to back the Escape up a slope.

Is this something I should have looked at, or is it just a quirk of the Escape's transmission?

·
Registered
263 Posts
jd2000 said:
2010 Escape 2WD XLT V6 automatic.

So, here's the scenario. I'm facing downhill on a mild slope (I don't know the exact grade, but it's not San Francisco type hills...just your average rolling neighborhood hills). Put the truck into reverse -- say, to parallel park. Let off the brake, and it rolls forward. I almost have to do a double-take to make sure it's not in neutral. In all other cars I've driven, their automatic transmission has been able to "hold" this same hill in reverse gear without rolling forward and without additional throttle.

Now I know it's not good practice to let the auto transmission hold a hill for any length of time, but it's just a little precarious having to use two feet to back the Escape up a slope.

Is this something I should have looked at, or is it just a quirk of the Escape's transmission?
Does it do it when your in Drive too? Say if you had your truck facing uphill at a stop sign, and took your foot off, does the truck roll backwards? :bag: Either way, doesn't sound right to me

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Anything more than 15% is probably too steep for the tranny to hold while the engine idles or is under say 1K rpm. Less than that, I don't know where or what % of incline, but there is going to be a point that you have to be actively "accelerating" (feeding it more gas than just an idle) to get the tranny to hold the Escape in place vs. allowing the engine to idle and the Escape rolling.

Personally, I don't hold the car, any car on a hill using the engine and transmission to hold it. I use the brake, otherwise I'm moving and on the throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'll have to find a hill where I actually know the % grade. I'm just comparing the Escape's behavior with the same parking spot as my last car...may not be an entirely fair comparison as my last car was a high strung, very light Mazda3. :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My driveway isn't sloped that much buy my '09 FE with creep up the incline just on idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You do mean with the motor off right? If so it is common motor is bleeding off compression. That why they advice you to turn wheels to curb. Auto trans. has a pin that locks trans. so no compression bleed off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.