Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I put my 2005 Escape into reverse the reverse lights flash on and off and I can hear a clicking sound (matching the lights) that sounds like it's coming from inside the center console. Is there a switch in there that controls the lights? If I leave it in reverse the lights usually stop flashing/clicking after 10 seconds or so and stay on as they are supposed to, but it's not always the same... sometimes they stay on right away and sometimes it takes longer for them to settle in.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should start looking? It's a manual transmission if that helps any.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I would like to chime in that my 2005 escape also a manual transmission is having the exact same issue. Reverse lights clicking on and off. Sounds like its coming from the fuse box on the passenger side. I havent checked my fuses yet as I just noticed this last night.

I also noticed that when i turn on my lights that i dont have any tail lights lit up. Headlights are on but the rear is dark. Is yours doing this too?

I hope we can find a fix for this soon. Driving with no tail lights in the rain is making me a bit nervous. Not to mention not being able to drive this car at night. :(

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The clicking sounds are from the reverse lamp relay in the Smart Junction Box, which contains the interior fuse panel. That's why you hear the sound coming from that area.

Check your fuses for the reverse lamps, but also, open the cover of the Battery Junction Box, which has larger fuses, under the hood on the driver-side fender. My guess is that both of you will find loose or weather-damaged fuses in the BJB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y'know, I actually don't know. I've only been out once at night since I bought the car and never noticed. The sound was what clued me into the reverse lights but I never looked at the tail lights since it was daytime.

Visually, the fuse for the rear lights on the interior panel looked fine but I swapped it with another just to check and the problem persisted. I never even thought to look at the fuse box under the hood, I just went straight to the sound :)
I'll pull the manual out tomorrow and see if I can find the fuse up front that controls the rear lights. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You're welcome. Please let us know what you find. I can dig deeper if the BJB fuses aren't the problem.

The 2005 manual transmission and 2.3L engine was a new powertrain duo in 2005, so maybe there's some other minor problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but I've been looking at the manual and the terminology has me confused; I'm not sure which fuse I should be looking at in the BJB. The online manual (page 219) http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO5204/~MUS~LEN/34/05204og5e.pdf doesn't seem to have anything specifically saying "reverse" anything. On the SJB I was guessing that "Reverse Park Aid" (29) was what I wanted, but I'm not sure.

I know easiest way would be for me to pull a fuse and see if I get the right one, but I've been doing this by myself so trying to see the rear lights (daytime) is difficult without a second person.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Here's the reverse lamp wiring diagram for 2005-2007 E/M/Ts with manual transmissions:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... manual.jpg

You're right about the SJB fuse. It's F29. Looking at the diagram, the only fuses in the reverse lamp path are SJB fuse F29 and BJB fuses F1 and F17. If these are OK, then you should try to unplug the reverse position switch/sensor on the transmission and jump the two pins in the connector (you can put the transmission in REVERSE and turn the key to ON, without starting the engine, to check the lights without another person). If the reverse lamps stay on solid, the switch/sensor on the transmission needs to be replaced. Also, check the condition of the switch/sensor connector. Normally, Ford's connectors are so well-sealed that you won't run into trouble there, but if the connector was installed without being snapped on completely, dirt and/or moisture could have entered the connector.

Finally, if the chattering continues, the SJB needs to be replaced, because either the driver logic (less likely) or the relay (more likely) aren't working properly.

For the tail lamps, here's the wiring diagram for 2005-2007 E/M/Ts:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... llamps.jpg

The first thing to check is SJB fuse F3 and BJB fuse F23. If the parking and/or tail lamps still won't light, the SJB will need to be replaced because of a bad parking/tail relay (most likely), a blown LOM resistor (not really likely), or, if parking lamps work but not tail lamps (or the other way around), then one of the high-side FETs is blown/open.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, such a detailed reply. I think I'm really going to like this site.

I had a couple minutes this past weekend to look at things, but nothing solved yet. First off, the good news is that my parking and tail lights both work correctly. As for my reverse lights, I changed out F1 in the BJB but no difference. Interestingly though on the SJB, I had previously just swapped the 10A F29 with another (F28?) to test, this time I changed it completely with an old 10A I found in my toolbox just for something to do. Low and behold it worked better (but not perfect)... although I suspect this was just pure coincidence as I don't see how a fuse can be anything but working or not working. Now this morning on my way to work I noticed I get nothing out of my reverse lights. No lights, no clicking. I suspect I probably blew that old fuse I used...

Since this is a manual transmission, I assume the reverse switch is attached to the bottom of the shifter shaft? I found the how to for removing the center console, so if it ever stops raining here for long enough I'll try pulling that out and checking the switch.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Actually, the switch/sensor is mounted on the transmission housing, as it has been on every manual-transmission car I've ever owned. The mechanism inside the transmission puts pressure on the switch when it's in reverse.

The switch/sensor is what I would suspect above everything else. And now that I think about it some more, the reverse lamp flashing may be caused by a switch that's making intermittent contact because of engine vibration. To test my theory (my .02 worth LOL), try to turn the key to ON without starting the engine, then put the transmission in reverse. If the lamps stay on, I'm pretty sure that the switch/sensor is not working properly.

Here's the switch location, which should be pretty easy to reach. The connector should have a BLACK wire and a VIOLET with WHITE STRIPE wire:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... switch.jpg

Again, I'll bet this is an easy fix. The switch may even be loose from the transmission housing, which would involve nothing more than tightening it. And if you need a new switch, it's a Motorcraft SW6522, which is also Ford part number 8L8Z-15520-A.

Here are a few links for the switch:

https://www.tituswillfordparts.com/cart ... mit=Search

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... 522-619313

http://www.autopartsexpress.com/searchi ... for=SW6522

http://www.oehq.com/motorcraft-parts_SW ... 20LAMP.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to post a reply with the results I've had thanks to jpark's help.

A few more tests conclusively determined that the flicking reverse lights were indeed caused by engine vibration. With the engine off the lights would stay constant in either on or off, and while running would flash between the two states.

Once I knew where to look, the first thing I noticed when with the sensor was that the routing of the connector wire was very, very tight, and pulled from the connector at a better than 90 degree angle. I rerouted the wire to a better location with some slack and cleaned the contacts as best as I could. Unfortunately I didn't have a socket deep enough to take the sensor out, but I did my best to make sure it was tightened correctly.

Anyway, I no longer experience intermittent failures of the reverse lights so I'm happy. I'm pretty certain that it was the wiring and not the sensor. I've got a reverse camera hooked up to the reverse wires now so I'll definitely notice if my lights go out again, but I'm hoping that the wiring wasn't damaged and it keeps working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts