Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an aftermarket reverse sensing system?
I am interested in getting one but don't know much about them.
I noticed there are 3 types, one where you drill holes, one that goes on the inside of the bumper, and one that sticks on.
So my question is which type is the best to get? I don't feel too comfortable about drilling into my new scape :worry:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had one in the first Escape I owned (my current Escape came with the factory system)

I bought the setup off ebay for something like $20 & installed it myself. It was nothing to install (but that's easy for me to say as I was an auto mechanic for years)

I used the drill into the bumper setup so it would look factory (the kit came with a small holesaw)

It worked great for about 6 weeks & then totally stopped working (I believe the control box was defective)

By then, I had installed a backup camera with my NAV setup so I didn't bother with the reverse sensors & that system never worked again.

~John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow, I would have thought the drill ones were the most reliable.
I'm guessing if it was only $20 you could always just replace the control box.
How well does the backup cam work? Are you able to tell how far/close you are to something?

·
Registered
220 Posts
baconbits said:
How well does the backup cam work? Are you able to tell how far/close you are to something?
It is kinda nice to have both the BU camera & the sensors (that is the setup I have now), but you get used to the camera image & then it is pretty easy to judge distance.

~John

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
There is always the "turn your head and look" system...Cost $0 :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
MadMax said:
There is always the "turn your head and look" system...Cost $0 :lol:
that doesn't work too well when your windows are tinted as dark as mine.

I can see 50' in total darkness with my LED BU camera.

~John

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol: :clap:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts