Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back when the hybrids came out, Ford was trying hard to promote them. They did a nationwide test drive tour that I attended. The following link leads to my review of the event:

Ford Escape Hybrid Experience

I reviewed the event/venue and the vehicle. I also posted a bunch of photos. I know it's a little outdated but I think it's got some good info and pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your welcome. Glad you liked :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I certainly enjoyed your post the first time RobtRoma and the information is still valid as Ford has not significantly changed the hybrid set-up from the first model which began production in August 2004. A bit of computer software fine-tuning and the addition of more options is about it…

The 2009 Escape Hybrid does promise a few significant changes, however, as Ford is updating the entire line-up with new 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines. The Hybrid will get the new 2.5-litre engine which promises improved power & economy via intake variable cam timing. Even more important, the Hybrid will also get AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control which became standard on other Escape's in 2008.

Now all we need is the plug-in option!

:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question as I'm sure there would be some savings but If you put a V6 or any bigger engine back into the hybrid isn't that going in the wrong direction for the vehicle type and market?

Seems like the mileage improvement is not so great to afford making it less fuel efficient for the sake of power. Are they competing with the Lexus Hybrids or?

Just curious as my next one will likely be other than standard gas.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Some have gone the route of using the hybrid configuration to boost performance rather than mileage and found that the changing times have not supported that strategy. Honda's Accord Hybrid took that approach, and has been discontinued as sales were poor.

However, General Motors and others have begun to ship hybrids in larger vehicles which have always featured 6- or more cylinder engines. Their theory (which does bear up to scrutiny) is that the fuel savings achieved by these "gas guzzlers" when electric motor(s) are added is actually more significant than putting the hybrid configuration into smaller vehicles (where mileage is already good).

These larger gas-electric hybrids will not come close to matching the mileage of their smaller siblings, but they handily beat their non-hybrid versions in consumption and emissions, while still maintaining the passenger/cargo capacity and towing capabilities.

I see there being a market for the hybrid configuration in all vehicle types, and look forward to seeing gas-electric (or better yet, affordable diesel-electric) vans, pick-ups, limos, etc.

:woohoo:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts